Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I really NEED headers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I really NEED headers?

I got my car tuned a few months back by one of our sponsers who has a reputaion for knowing how to tune very well. We had a hard time with detonation after I removed my MAFT. He tuned it so that is would not audibly detonate but I am still getting a good bit of knock retard.
I thought that might have been caused by my driveshaft loop touching my exhuast which was vibrating the crap out of the whole interior of the car. Come to find out I am still getting kr after removing the loop.
He told me that is was becuase my head temps were very hot and that headers would most likely solve my problems.
The problem is that I am not sure that I will ever buy a cam. A 100 or 125 shot of nitrous is more likely because of the bang for the buck.
So what do I do? Can I get an off road pipe instead or should I part with the $$$ for headers just to fix my detonation? I am only second guessing my header purchase now that I am thinking I will probubly only get about 20hp from it.
What do yall think? Remember I am on a budget but I still want to go fast. I can afford headers if I have to but that money could go to TNT or NOS.
Hugh
2001SS 3000 Stall, Lid, K&N, Pace LS6 MAF, Loudmouth
Old 06-23-2003, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Do I really NEED headers?

To ask if you need them really won't get you what you need for an answer because I'll tell you that you really don't need anything for your car except what you like. Would your car benefit from them? Absolutely. But, IMO don't buy any headers except LT's if you can afford them. They will make your car more efficient and sound great. Anything you can do to speed up emptying and refilling the cylinders is always good. Combine them with some "spray" and you'll have a winning combination. However...get your detonation issue UNDER CONTROL before you even think about spraying your car or the repair bill could break you. The stock pistons won't put up with it for very long. Good luck!
Old 06-24-2003, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for your reply.
Yes I guess by "need" I mean would that really be a fix for detonation?
Old 06-24-2003, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get some headers.my car responded great to headers.