Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air conditioning problem--huge leak!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air conditioning problem--huge leak!!

I posted about this last summer but the problem keeps coming back and I couldn't find my original thread. When I run the a/c, cold water (I'm assuming condesation) backs up and leaks from behind the glovebox onto the carpet. After a couple hours run time, the carpet is soaked on that side. I've checked the drain hole inside the engine compartment and it's clear. What else could it be? I've traced it to a black box behind the glovebox. Is water even supposed to be in there or could it just be a bad seal?
Old 07-07-2003, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Air conditioning problem--huge leak!!

That has to be the problem. Are you sure that 1) the hose is attached and 2) the hose isn't blocked higher than you can see in? Not many other options on this one from what I've seen in the past.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

There should be a weep hole in the bottom of the core box, it might be pluged. You can run a coat hanger wire into the hole to see if clears it, I've attached a picture showing the weep hole. Hope it helps some.

Al

Old 08-20-2003, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the picture. I tried to tackle this again today with no luck. I found that weep hole and there's definitely water coming out of it. Problem is, there's about the same amount of water coming inside the car. It's leaking out from this seam in a box that is attached to the inside of the firewall.

The bolts are tight and I can't seem to find any hose that would've gotten disconnected. Maybe it's behind all the plastic, and if so, how the hell do I get all that out of there?
Old 08-20-2003, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Run something up the weep to clear it out, it's not draining fast enough and overflowing into the car. Maybe you can attach a plastic hose to it and blow to clear the obstruction. There were some good posts about this on the LS1.com site, go search.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

I ran it to the dealer this morning and they called me a couple hours later. There was a hairline crack in the heater box. They epoxied it up and told me not to run the a/c for about a day so it could cure. Should fix the problem. Otherwise I'll need a new heater box. That could be a very expen$ive trip to the dealer. I'll probably know tomorrow if it worked or not.

Quick Reply: Air conditioning problem--huge leak!!