Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

using slp resonators w/true duals?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using slp resonators w/true duals?

i put hooker LT's on my 2002 ls1 camaro and have been running open headers for a while. the car is loud but the tone sounds like crap(like an old farm truck!). im building a true dual setup for my car and im looking for a good muffler to use. i want it to be as loud as possible at idle and wide open. but the most important thing is that it has a good tone. i dont have the cash for spin tech. i can get a set of SLP "Loudmouth I" resonators for cheap. i was wondering if anyone else has used them for true duals before? please let me know what u think. sound clips will also help too. also any other muffler ideas would also help. i will NOT be runnin cats.

also, i know that people say that stock ls1's dont need back pressure but since i have been runnin open headers my car feels like it dosen't have any pull at high rpm's. it feels like its ready to shift at 4k to 4,500rpm's. will loudmouth resonators give me a little backpressure? i have seen inside them and they are completely hollow.

also, how much tone difference dose an H-pipe make from an X-pipe?

Last edited by sixpack_2_go; 02-12-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will get some back pressure from switching to a full exhaust but the resonators won't do much else for it. Check out some Powersticks or something along those lines.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Dual SLP LM1 will sound bad *** at idle, but will not have a nice tone driving down the road. Really no tone at all, just loud as HELL! You will have to go with a muffler with a little of something in it. The SLPs are hollow. I love my Powerstick muffler.. try it or some Moroso Spiral Flow, or the pricey- Borla XR-1.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

tto the top
Old 02-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Teching In

LM1=NASCAR

A friend of mine put them on his 01 SS w/ FLP LT's and ORY. Like mentioned above, they are loud at idle and partial throttle, but obnoxiously loud at WOT. He was more than 1/4 mile ahead of me getting on the highway and it was still loud as hell.

I'd look at the LM2's if you want SLP, otherwise Borla or even Flowbastard 1-chambers are a little quieter.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Well i just ordered myself 2 SLP Shotgun Resonators, since my Sweet Thunder mufflers aren't loud enough. And they are going on my True Dual set-up, i missed open headers so much this is the best i can do other than straight pipes.
-Joel
Old 02-13-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
Well i just ordered myself 2 SLP Shotgun Resonators, since my Sweet Thunder mufflers aren't loud enough. And they are going on my True Dual set-up, i missed open headers so much this is the best i can do other than straight pipes.
-Joel
let me know how it sounds when u get them on. maybe even send me a sound clip?
Old 02-13-2008, 02:24 PM
dug
Banned

xpipe alone is supposed to sound good if u like loud
Old 02-13-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Sound clip is a guarantee. Im going to keep it dumped at the rear, untill i can get enough to continue it under the rear end and out the back.
-Joel
Old 02-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Launching!

With cats
but slowly getting louder day by day =) alot louder in person and i get tons of comments about how ******* loud it is and how badass it sounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YScyioCR9ak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLDZqQCX61c
Old 02-13-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MaroMan
With cats
but slowly getting louder day by day =) alot louder in person and i get tons of comments about how ******* loud it is and how badass it sounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YScyioCR9ak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLDZqQCX61c

sounds good man. wat size exhaust tubing did you use?
Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you running open headers w/o any kind of extension? If so your O2 sensors are not functioning properly and that's why the power is falling off so early. You should run at least an 18" extension on the collector.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sixpack_2_go
sounds good man. wat size exhaust tubing did you use?
Just 2.5 since they both go over the same side, it was enough talking to get them to even run duals. I would accept anything at the point i was at. Went from sorry even though we told you we could do it, now we cant good luck getting home with open headers, to ok but you cant have an h, the cats are going to be welded weird and i have a tipmuff since they cut both in half and welded them together. But it all came out good in the end
Old 02-13-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
Are you running open headers w/o any kind of extension? If so your O2 sensors are not functioning properly and that's why the power is falling off so early. You should run at least an 18" extension on the collector.
i have 3" tubing clamped on to the ends of the headers.you can see it in this pic
Old 02-14-2008, 08:48 AM
dug
Banned

put a trex cam in there. thatll make it louder
Old 02-14-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

I dont understand whats wrong with a nice catback with a good tone. Not too loud, not too quiet, and definitely not obnoxious.

I had a LM1 catback and its just unnecessarily loud. Like my hooker a ton better. BTW im 19 so its not old man syndrome that makes me hate loud ***, belligerent exhaust.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

^ Everyone has their different tastes, in how they want their car to sound. Ever since i had open headers pre/post MS3 cam i have yet to get over that sound. As loud as my sweet thunders are, they just aren't enough.
-Joel
Old 02-14-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by StripedZebra
I dont understand whats wrong with a nice catback with a good tone. Not too loud, not too quiet, and definitely not obnoxious.

I had a LM1 catback and its just unnecessarily loud. Like my hooker a ton better. BTW im 19 so its not old man syndrome that makes me hate loud ***, belligerent exhaust.
i have some friends that have loudmouth 1 catbacks and its not loud enough for me. i love my car. their is nothing in this world better than driving. i dont just want to have power, I WANT TO FEEL IT SHAKING MY SEAT, STEERING WHEEL, AND SHIFTER. in fact, i want the people a mile away to feel it in their seat. even if my ears started bleeding it still woudnt be loud enough! i want the street to crack under my car. lol but everyone has their own preference.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
^ Everyone has their different tastes, in how they want their car to sound. Ever since i had open headers pre/post MS3 cam i have yet to get over that sound. As loud as my sweet thunders are, they just aren't enough.
-Joel
i agree 100%
Old 02-15-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

HaHa, UPS dropped off my resonators today! They look awesome, i had the loudmouth on my car when i bought it, so i was never able to see inside of the slp resonator. Wow things are going to get insanely loud, i'll definetly have up a vid tomorrow.
-Joel

So nice i don't even want to put them on the car:

So i just spent this much for a pipe? Still looks cool as hell! (thats my pug at the end, even he thinks they look cool)

Quick Reply: using slp resonators w/true duals?