Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help!

I can't remove the bolt that holds the a/c belt idler pulley out. It's a T50 Torx and it won't budge. The Torx bit is slipping out and I'm afraid I'm buggering up the head. Anybody have any hints, tips, suggestions? I tried epoxying the Torx bit to the head, but it's oily down there and the epoxy won't stick. I have the new replacement part on my workbench, and I did check the thread. It's a standard righty-tighty, not a left hand thread so I"m turning the correct way. I even had my son try to hold the Torx bit into the head while I turned the breaker bar. It just won't budge. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

well spray some wd40 or pb blaster

spray engine degresserand dry it put the epoxy on it.

or weld it to it.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Cut the head of the bolt off take the pulley off then heat the the block no the bolt up till its red hot then gently turn the bolt out with a pair of vise grips.....thats how i did mine! no problems.....
Old 02-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I'm a little reluctant to use a lot of heat or sparks around the engine bay, but I will probably try to degrease and use another liberal dose of epoxy. The idea to cut the head off sounds good, but I wonder if I could just use vise grips and a lot of leverage without the heat. I'm very limited with tools, no cutters, welders or torches, just the usual household and general auto tools. The problem is mostly keeping the Torx bit engaged with the bolt.