Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forums, Need some answers

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forums, Need some answers

Hi, I am right now an 05 modded V6 mustang owner, but am converting to a 6M LS1 Z28 before May due to the lack of power and n/a mods from mustangs. I already did some research on these cars and would like some help in questions I have come across.

1. I will have $3.5k-$4.5k for mods and am wondering what you guys would suggest me to do for the best power/dollar or beginning mods that are usually done on LS1's? (I think I read somewhere people said do a lid, cai, and full exhaust(lt headers/cat-back) before working on internals-heads/cam)

2. I have heard that the stock 7.5 rear end isn't very strong. I am looking to push at least 350rwhp by the end of May with modding, so what would you suggest, building up the 7.5 or looking for a 9" rear end? I was thinking if I stuck with the 7.5, I would throw a girdle on it, and switch to a stronger lsd(eaton locker, true track, lockrite locker, or auburn high performance lsd) to make it be able to handle the 350rwhp or more I will have in the immediate future and 450rwhp I am planning to have in the distant(1yr) future.

3. With this new problem of extra power, what is the 6spd manual tranny rated at? Can it take the extra power(350rwhp, 450rwhp, more)? I know in this department the least I will have to do is upgrade the clutch.

4. What are some worth doing free mods? I think I heard about a throttle body bypass, maf screen removal, EGR-something. Possibly weight reduction.

That's what's puzzled me for now, so thanks for any help ahead of time and looking over this place it looks pretty cool and informative so I think I'll like it here
Old 02-25-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. You got it right as for first mods. Lid, CAI, LT headers, ORY or catted y-pipe, good catback (not flowmaster), LS6 intake if you buy an earlier year that came with the LS1 intake, suspension stuff would be good such as subframe connectors, lower control arms, strut tower brace, and as you said a new clutch would be good. All the above can be done for maybe $2500 tops. With the leftover money and further down the road you can do a cam kit and have it dyno tuned for another $1200 or so.

2. The stock rear is crap for an M6 if you put any kind of grippy tires on there. They're pretty much useless to spend any money on and a girdle really isn't going to help much. If you plan on a sticky tire or going to the track much then definitely go with either a 9" or a 12 bolt but this is a costly mod...$2K or so.

3. The tranny can handle the power no problem. I wouldn't worry about upgrading it unless you make some serious power like 500RWHP at least.

4. Do a search for free mods but most of them are worth at least a little bit. TB bypass, EGR mod, and there's a couple others too.

5. Welcome to the site and you're going to love modding the LS1!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red99TA
1. You got it right as for first mods. Lid, CAI, LT headers, ORY or catted y-pipe, good catback (not flowmaster), LS6 intake if you buy an earlier year that came with the LS1 intake, suspension stuff would be good such as subframe connectors, lower control arms, strut tower brace, and as you said a new clutch would be good. All the above can be done for maybe $2500 tops. With the leftover money and further down the road you can do a cam kit and have it dyno tuned for another $1200 or so.

2. The stock rear is crap for an M6 if you put any kind of grippy tires on there. They're pretty much useless to spend any money on and a girdle really isn't going to help much. If you plan on a sticky tire or going to the track much then definitely go with either a 9" or a 12 bolt but this is a costly mod...$2K or so.

3. The tranny can handle the power no problem. I wouldn't worry about upgrading it unless you make some serious power like 500RWHP at least.

4. Do a search for free mods but most of them are worth at least a little bit. TB bypass, EGR mod, and there's a couple others too.

5. Welcome to the site and you're going to love modding the LS1!
what he said, you pretty much nailed it on the head
Old 02-25-2008, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Or you could just look at the sticky at the top of this page. The one called induction and exhaust guide. It will pretty much take you through everything that you should start off with.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the help! I'll check out that sticky.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:35 PM

If I swap in a 9" rear, how strong is it? Good for 4k rpm clutch drops? 5k? Good till 500rwhp? 600rwhp? Thanks ahead for pointers on this!
Old 02-25-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Beast
If I swap in a 9" rear, how strong is it? Good for 4k rpm clutch drops? 5k? Good till 500rwhp? 600rwhp? Thanks ahead for pointers on this!
It can handle whatever you're going to throw at it. 5K rpm clutch dumps with slicks at 600RWHP shouldn't be a problem.