Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limits of stock MAF and T/B question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Default Limits of stock MAF and T/B question

I am going to be doing a cam swap next month on my Hawk. Since the Weiand Street Warrior intake isn't going to be out till this summer, or possible thanksgiving, I am going to wait to see what kind of numbers they get out them. I thought about going ahead and get a LS6 intake, but I don't want to buy two intakes. The reverse split helps the poor intake flow so I will be down some power for a while with my stocker.

I am not going with a 90/90 setup. I don't think the gains would justify the cost for what I am doing. I am going to use the reverse split 230/224 cam w/ bolt ons.

Lets say with either the Weiand or the LS6 is the stock MAF good enough or should I look into getting a 85mm. In the past I have read that the stock unit is good for quite a bit of power. I have also heard it's one of those things that causes more headaches than it's worth. Again, it's just what I have heard. I have no personal experience with them.

I know the stock T/B is pretty restrictive. I have seen most 90mm T/B's around 4-500. Professional Products has a 85mm T/B for about 160. What makes a "good" T/B? I have also read there is a lot of problems with aftermarket T/B's. Again, thats just what I have read.

I know bigger isn't always better. If companies still have problems with these two items, why do they sell so many of them?

I know I have asked a few open ended questions. Basically I am wanting to know what would benefit me the most.

Thanks.

Jason