Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why should I upgrade from a stock harmonic balancer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why should I upgrade from a stock harmonic balancer?

Hey guys. Tried finding this answer but haven't found much about it. Anyways, money is a little tight right now (have $1500 and $1400 of that is saved for trans rebuild + clutch). My setup eventually will be a 347 + turbo, m6, DD, 550rwhp or so. Keeping A/C, no "sound system" or crazy electronics. So is the only reason of getting an aftermarket U/D system (such as Powerbond) to grind out 1 or 2 more HP (if that), and a smoother running engine?? Convince me why I should take a $100 out of my trans rebuild & clutch for a U/D system. The motor is currently out of the vehicle so it would be an easier job to change now, but I can always do this 10,000 miles later when I have the money.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

you will prob see slightly more than 1-2hp. now its not 20 but every little bit may help. i have a powerbond and feel it was worth it. the install is easy motor in or out. if you want to sqeek every bit of power out of your ride i say it would help.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:57 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Power, SFI approval, and it'll be easier to install now than when you want to do it by itself later down the road.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

they are usually good for 5+rwhp, i say do it now, it's easier now that the motor is out.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 533 Likes on 377 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by candlelit
Hey guys. Tried finding this answer but haven't found much about it. Anyways, money is a little tight right now (have $1500 and $1400 of that is saved for trans rebuild + clutch). My setup eventually will be a 347 + turbo, m6, DD, 550rwhp or so. Keeping A/C, no "sound system" or crazy electronics. So is the only reason of getting an aftermarket U/D system (such as Powerbond) to grind out 1 or 2 more HP (if that), and a smoother running engine?? Convince me why I should take a $100 out of my trans rebuild & clutch for a U/D system. The motor is currently out of the vehicle so it would be an easier job to change now, but I can always do this 10,000 miles later when I have the money.
You would do better whacking off to a picture of a naked fat guy. At least then the waste of time for a dissapointing result wouldn't cost you any money. Underdrive pulleys only have one legitimate reason to exist. This reason is to keep from overspinning accessories on a highly modded motor that spins to WAY more than stock rpm. If you aren't spinning high enough to explode your alternator, I wouldn't bother swapping pullleys.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gametech
You would do better whacking off to a picture of a naked fat guy. At least then the waste of time for a dissapointing result wouldn't cost you any money. Underdrive pulleys only have one legitimate reason to exist. This reason is to keep from overspinning accessories on a highly modded motor that spins to WAY more than stock rpm. If you aren't spinning high enough to explode your alternator, I wouldn't bother swapping pullleys.
I agree. I won't be spending past 6200. and cutting out on my transmission rebuild sucks because 3rd gear is about out.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:59 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
Where did you magically conjure this?
Old 04-12-2008, 01:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 533 Likes on 377 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Where did you magically conjure this?
I didn't have to magically conjure this. An underdrive pulley nets a very small HP or ET gain due to less rotating mass. It does so at the expense of driving the alternator and power steering pump slower(and water pump--oops). That smaller mass also does a poorer job of dampening crank harmonics. In the meantime, it drives all of the accessories slower.

Quick Reply: Why should I upgrade from a stock harmonic balancer?