Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there different depth crank pulleys? Mine is not long enough?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are there different depth crank pulleys? Mine is not long enough?

Assembling my engine for the first time. It was bought as a 04 ls6 zo6 longblock. I bought a used tensioner, alt, power steering from a 04 ls6 gto. The problem is that all the accessories line up but the main crank pulley needs to be shimmed out 1" to line up for the belt. Are there different pulleys? I run no AC so I just need the one ribbed section.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

uh i know they are different for vettes and fbodys. but i don tknow if its wrong or just no on the crank snout enough. did you buy anything to snug the crank pulley on before throwing the bolt it? most people will grab some threaded rod and some heavy washers and nutz to get that sucker on there tight!
Old 04-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

My advice is to talk to someone knowledgeable with the LSX engines, such as "Wheel to Wheel Powertrain". All the balancers are differant due to the differant accessory drives that are used. You will need a balancer from whatever type of vehicle your front accessory drive came from.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

I used the factory bolt that was on the crank.

The current setup I have puts the altinater under the p/s wheel on the drivers side. One picture I found shows the alt above the p/s. Any Idea what I have?

Also because I'm not running the ac do I need to spend $300+ on a single crank pully?
Old 04-13-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont know if you need a new pulley b/c of removing the AC but i wouldnt think so. my camaro's alt is right below the ps pulley too. but i would make 100% sure what block and accesories you have and check to make sure the ballancer is a match for that. is it an underdrive or stock?
Old 04-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are basicly 3 different crank pulleys to match the accessory drives for the body they were installed in. They have different "offsets", as measured from the flat on the timing cover to the back rim of the pulley: a corvette pulley is 0.6"; f-bodies and GTOs are 1.0"; and trucks and SUVs are 2.5". BTW, the '04 GTO would have been an LS1 with the 1.0" offset pulley. If you don't run an A/C compressor or idler pulley instead, you'll need a shorter belt and may have a problem with routing it. HTH
Mike
Old 04-14-2008, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1Topgun
There are basicly 3 different crank pulleys to match the accessory drives for the body they were installed in. They have different "offsets", as measured from the flat on the timing cover to the back rim of the pulley: a corvette pulley is 0.6"; f-bodies and GTOs are 1.0"; and trucks and SUVs are 2.5". BTW, the '04 GTO would have been an LS1 with the 1.0" offset pulley. If you don't run an A/C compressor or idler pulley instead, you'll need a shorter belt and may have a problem with routing it. HTH
Mike
Great info, thanks!
I know the crank pulley is off a corvette. And the accessories are a gto. So I guess I need the Fbody Pulley. It looked more than .4" off, I'd say .75" but no more than that. I am running an idler, any idea where I can get a single ribbed crand pully?

Quick Reply: Are there different depth crank pulleys? Mine is not long enough?