Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT's Y pipe and high flow cats --> SNIFFER TEST (I searched!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT's Y pipe and high flow cats --> SNIFFER TEST (I searched!)

Good day all,

I would like to get longtube headers, a y pipe and some high flow cats. Now my question is I have to pass the sniffer test. They do not look down here and they don't care AS long as you pass the sniffer. I read many places that you needed a tune, what is involved with that? Now if you were to have front and rear o2's and all the required emission equipment in place do you still need a tune since you are technically not deleting anything?

I would also like to know your setups and if you have to pass the sniffer did you have any difficulties. Also do you have any other added mods. I am planning to go FI in the future just building up to it for now.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

It's worth your while to get a tune. Adding headers will change the AFR, which even with the cars, will change your emissions parameters (CO, NOx, etc). Stock motor LT cats no tune - 50/50 pass (depends on rest of the system and how well maintained). Same as above with tune, 95% pass. MHO but based on some experience.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Launching!

What do you mean by tune tho?
Old 04-16-2008, 06:50 AM
Launching!

I understand what you meant now... It's pretty obvious duh! I was just a little tired last night so I wasn't thinking straight.