Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR question(s)

first off, i have a 2000 Camaro and i lived in austin when it was purchased. i took the egr out about 5 years ago--for several reasons, but now i live in dallas where emissions are tested. my question is what is the easiest way to pass emissions? putting the egr back in doesn't really seem like an excellent option to me, but it may be the only one...

next question: in 01/02 egr was eliminated in the ls1, right? then how the heck do they pass emissions testings?

also, is egr still commonly used in cars? i figured since chevy stopped doing it in the ls1 a lot of other manufacturers found an alternative.

and lastly, is egr actually better for the environment? seems like egr is only delaying the amount of exhaust that comes out of your car since you are recycling it but that either way, with or without egr, the exhaust still comes out of the car, just the concentration is limited by the egr system.

thanks for the answers.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Do they do visual checks in Dallas? If not, then just have the EGR code tuned out. The 01 & 02 LS1s have a more efficient cam that eliminates the need for EGR. I think that some modern cars still have EGR. I don't really think that it's better for the environment, but the idea is that some of the burnt air is recirculated and burned again, I think. In theory, less burnt air would make it out of the car.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ Right. If they don't do a visual then you can just have the code deleted with a handheld programmer or mail order tune.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

what about the "sniffer" test i hear about? would having the code deleted even matter for that? i can't find much about this on the internet. my code has been deleted by ls1 tune or one of those programs that a buddy had and took care of it for me.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't think it would affect a sniffer test, the only thing that really affects those are the cats I believe.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

such misinformation......

the EGR valve only operates under crusing conditions. it is an emissions device and it will effect a sniffer check. a good idea is to have your A/F richened up a tad when you remove the EGR to keep the combustion chamber temps down.