Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust Problem

Well the other day I was leaving my road and I dodged scraping the front end and I hear a little scrape as my back end leaves the road. So I stop in a parking lot and I notice that my exhaust tips are hanging lower than normal. So upon farther inspection I see that where the intermediate pipe goes into the muffler it's rusted through. It's actually still welded to the pipe it just rusted next to the muffler so that is lose.

Here are some pictures

I know in that first picture the tips are pushed to one side but it was like that when I bought it.

It doesn't sound too bad but there is a rattle on deceleration.
I don't have a lot of money. Only about $550. I wanted to use this as an excuse to get headers and a true dual system, but the next day I got my insurance bill in the mail and out went most of my money.

Well what would it take to fix this? I would need a new muffler. Would I need a new intermediate pipe? Or is it just going to cost as much as a cat back system to fix?

Thanks for the help
Old 04-23-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My philosophy has always been that when you "have to" fix something, upgrade it so that it is now a "want to". Wait till you have the $ and do it right the first time so that you don't have to do it again. If you don't have a lot of $, find some used headers on here, or even get some LPP headers, they are great quality.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, i guess i better do it the way i want it.