Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tapping header block offs

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tapping header block offs

Anyone ever done tapping? Im unsure of how to do it. Im going to tap the holes where the bolts go thru for the header emissions hook up to or where block off plates would normally bolt to.
Im tired of losing nuts and bolts underneath when buttoning everything up.

I saw somewhere where the tap needs to be snug, but how does one know. Anyone know what size that has done this before?
thanks
Old 04-26-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can use a drill bit/ tap size chart. it tells you what drill bit size is used for that tap size. I assume they would be in the drill bit section of a hardware store. They are usually made of metal or platic and have holes in them to so you can find the size of drill bits, bolts etc.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

by feel I can kind of figure out which tap to use. The dilemma is now is how to tap while the headers are in the car. When I installed the headers months ago, doing this tap thing did not occur to me and make it simple for later on unfortunately.

I mean its possible now but its just that one has limited room, so I'll have to go to a hardware store to see if they have a straight anchor holding device for the tap.

I wonder if I used a drill (and if it fit in the limited space) and went really slowly if it would work?

Any ideas. I mean im talking to camaro (LS1) guys so we now how limited room is.