Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fan trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default fan trouble...

simply, my fans won't turn on and i'm getting an SES light. i don't have a scanner and i'm not going to be home for a few weeks. i don't think its the t-stat or the pump because the radiator (fins and both tanks) and rad hose are hot and i can feel water flowing. the temp is fine while moving but climbs steadily while sitting still. i've let the car run for about 20 mins with the heater on (the air coming out was REALLY hot) and at no point did the fans turn on. it's not a fuse and the relays look fine but what do i know, they're no see thru lol. i can feel the engine bay and the wind blowing under the car are NOTICABLY much hotter than usual (i.e. its not that hot on a july afternoon).

i removed the tb and had it ported a few weeks ago. it was a little over ported and raised my idle about 200rpms all around (which actually fixed my charging problem w/ the A/C running at idle), but i don't think thats the issue because it wouldnt cause the fans not to run. the overflow bottle is nearly empty but the radiator is full to the brim and the dexcool is still bright orange and clear.

i'll get the code read asap but until then, any ideas???
Old 04-28-2008, 06:28 AM
TECH Resident

bump...
Old 04-28-2008, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TB would not affect your fans not coming on,,,really need to know the code for codes your gettin,,,Advance Auto will scan for free when you have time to get it in there...did you check or replace any of the 3 relays that control your fans? That may be a starting point as well.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

i checked the relays...visually anyway. aside from a small crack on #1 they look fine (i don't own a multimeter). would one bad relay disable both fans? i'm def not an electronics guy (at ALL) so if that's a stupid question please answer it accordingly lol.

if the problem is a relay, would that set off the SES light?

Last edited by SS101; 04-28-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think so...

I own a MM, but hell if i know how to check em either,,i have had a P0480 on my car since ive owned it, which is something to do with the relays,,,,but both fans come on so im not sure. lol