Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help im going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question please help im going crazy

ok guys here it is i have a 98 camaro and i changed my alternater 4 months ago now since then its gone out on me 5 times (luckly it had lifetime warrenty) now i notice that they all went out while im on the freeway and i floor it or during high revs.ive checked the wires the ground you name it ive checked it. so HELP
Old 04-28-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get Genuine A/C Delco parts. Most parts store alternaters are rebuilt pieces of crap. I learned the hard way years ago too but it only took me three times of changing it to learn
Old 04-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Banned

normally i would have thought u had another issue but if the car is 100% fine for a year if u keep rpm low and your not flooring it than im almost going to have to say cheap part! is your battery good? a bad cell in a battery can short out the alternator
Old 04-28-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with a new battery and keep trying replacing those lifetime warranty ones until you find a good one. I've seen ppl go through quite a few of those before they find one that lasts.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Teching In

after the second time i bought a yellow top $200 and same problem could it be that all 5alternators were defective?
Old 05-01-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AC delco replacement parts
Old 05-01-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

delco sux IMO, Ive sold auto parts for years, **** is all the same. w/exception to duralast that **** is terrible. only a few companies actually reman or produce the internal components to your everyday starters and alternators anyway. enough of my rant

unplug the mass air sensor and see if it affects your volt meter, may indicate a bad battery or open circuit
I had a similar situation the other day with a 5.3 chevy impala and after replacing the alternator the volt gauge would slowly drop as if something was drawing amperage
checked the battery and it read good but the cranking amps were draining away,
ended up being the mass air sensor, shorted out the whole ******* thing

just trying to help