Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you or do you not? Please help asap

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do you or do you not? Please help asap

Ok guys I have a ls6 intake waiting to go on my 98 camaro and I have searched, talked, and searched some more and can not find a definite answer. Do you or do you not have to replace the knock sensors and harness when replacing the intake? I called a camaro/firebird junk yard and they said no and that the knock sensors did not have a wire harness that they connected straight into the main wiring harness. Please help.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Launching!

you do not need to replace them, you will need to carefully tap down on the tubes to make clearance for your ls6 intake. I also cut/sanded the bottom crap off the ls6 intake to help fit.

Be careful not to break the oil sending unit on removal and installation.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

You don't have to do anything with the knock sensors, you will have to either grind down the intake or replace the coolant line that runs underneath the it though.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did nothing with my knock sensors, etc when i did my ls6 intake swap. just get the coolant crossover pipes and you're golden.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

i think he is talking about the bad knock sensors on the 98 cars. i tested mine and at wot the car retarded my motor 4*(or something like that), but it was not noticeable on the road or at the track. when i got my car tuned, my tuner fixed the problem, whether he tuned them out im not sure but i have no more retared at wot. if i were you i would leave it be, and install your ls6 intake
Old 05-15-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

btw the knock sensors don't go straight into the wiring harness there is a clip on it