Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mccord not opening problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mccord not opening problem

I have had my mccord power plate on my car for about 2 years. Last year the valve was sticking when I put the car away. I got the car out this season and went to use the cutout. I can hear the motor working but the valve only opens 20%. Just enough to sound crappy. the LED does not come on. The fuse in the powerplate switch is good. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Old 05-20-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

On mine I would spray wd40 to keep it lubed. Are you using this on a Borla catback by any chance?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+2 on lube and keeping it clean. i have had my mccord for a while now and i hit it with electrical parts cleaner and re lube it 2 times a year or so. as for the led mine has gone out to. that little spring sensor wear out.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

I tried lubing the cutout. I sprayed Deep Creep on the motor and blade but it still makes a sound but wont open. Any other ideas?
Old 07-10-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

I got under the car again, this time with a flashlight. I had someone use the rocker switch while I watched. It started out closed.

The rocker was pushed forward and made a deep electric motor sound and started to move. The sound then turned high pitched and the valve stopped moving. Keeping the rocker switch going forward, the motor then changed sounds again. It went from high pitched not moving to the first deep electric motor sound and moved. Overall it opened about an 1/8 inch.

The rocker switch was then pushed back. The motor made the deep sound and moved a 1/16" closing. It then made the high pitched sound and stopped moving. At the end of the cycle the sound changed and it almost shut entirely. (Now there is a small exhaust leak that seems to close it self after the exhaust heats up.)

The shaft on the valve does move but only a 1/16". The divit never gets anywhere near the pin.

How do I fix this? Ideas?

Thank you.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Try unbolting the cutout from your exhaust to eliminate the fact that the butterfly plate may be getting snagged on the flange it's bolted on to. Once you have it off try opening and closing it a few times and lubing the little pin that slides up and down real good. You can take the little screws holding the microswitch in place off to completely pull the pin out and try and clean the hole where it slides in as good as you can.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Try unbolting the cutout from your exhaust to eliminate the fact that the butterfly plate may be getting snagged on the flange it's bolted on to. Once you have it off try opening and closing it a few times and lubing the little pin that slides up and down real good.
I tried this and as it turns out that little vertical brass rod had frozen in place. the motor was just spinning inside of the connector. I tried lubing the brass rod, twisting, and beating it out but nothing worked. So I bought a screw remover and used that. I then ran a drill bit down that hole and found there was a bur at the bottom preventing the pin from falling down.