Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gutting Cats

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gutting Cats

I am getting my gmmg exhaust soon and while I'm installing it, I want to gut my cats. What do I do to gut them. Also Is there anything I need to buy so I wont throw any codes? Would I need rear o2 sims? TIA.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Gutting Cats

It is a simple procedure,unbolt your cats,hammer away at the inside honeycomb material with a long prybar/screwdriver etc. Have a trash can nearby because the catalyst material will break up and pour out. (Might even want to wear a mask because of the dust it will create. Bolt them back in and procede with the catback install. You don't have to install sims if you don't mind the SES light being on(it will throw the cataltic converter inefficient Bank 1&2 code)But if another problem develops you wont know with the light being on. So get the sims or tuning to eliminate.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

And if anyone is interested I did a ASM dyno test on my 02 SS after gutting the cats and with the Hotcam and it passed the standards set for a 95 LT1.(Last standards available since 96 up are OBD tested)
Old 08-13-2003, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if these codes will hurt performance in any way? I would like to get the sims but they are expensive and I don't want to get them unless I need them.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get the 02 sims. You can usually pick up a used pair for around 60 bux shipped. just keep an eye on the parts for sale section.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if these codes will hurt performance in any way? I would like to get the sims but they are expensive and I don't want to get them unless I need them.
It won't hurt to run without sims a friend of mine on here BadAndy has been running his that way for awhile with no drop in performance. Of course he did borrow my spare set of sims to pass his emissions test this month.