Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So i installed the headers finally...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 11:53 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So i installed the headers finally...

Just got done isntalling the Pacesetters, took my time, did a good job.

Now I am left with oxygen sensors I cant plug in because the wires are too short. Ordering extensison from Speed Inc. in just a few.

Now is it safe to drive my car with the O2 sensors zip tied away to the nearest muffler shop to get my custom y pipe with cats built? After I plug the extenstions into the sensors for the front and put those in the headers, will it be a problem to just leave the rear 2 out just hangin out in the bottom of my car, ziptied away? I know I will throw codes, but will this be hamrlful to the car at all?
Old 08-26-2003, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: So i installed the headers finally...

Its a bad idea to drive it with out the front O2s. It will go into gimp mode. Id wait to drive it till you can get extensions or the wires that C5s use. Thats what I have for mine, they are really long! Now the rear are no bid deal, Id just unplug the actual sensor so it doesnt get messed up. Its just for cats anyway

On another note, how was the install? Have you ever dont headers before to compare these too?
Old 08-26-2003, 12:30 AM
Gev
TECH Addict

The install was a pain because, first it was my first time, and second, I have big forearms and couldn't get into the tight places I needed to, but it was pretty straightforward. The last spark plug was becoming a pain until I removed the cat, then it was easy sailing from there.
Oh and I needed to remove the passenger side heat shielding from under the car to get the header in.
On the driver side all I had to do was disconnect the steering shaft to get the header in. Again small hands woulda been real nice for this install.

I think I can do the next one much better though.

And about the C5 wires, you mean the wires or the actual sensors? Are the C5 ones extensions? Because on the camaro the sensors have wires going out into a plug that plugs into the factory harness.

Oh and they were the Pacesetter long tubes. Can't wait to see how they perform against my friends new Tri-Y header setup.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Arent the wires connected to the sensors? I just unpluged the stock ones from the harness. The wires just happend to be really long. I traded mine from a guy at a local performance shop. They fit with my Hookers and have room to spare.

Did you use a gear wrench? you said that you had a hard time getting back in there. A 10 mm gear wrench will save you so much time, its my new best friend