Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on how to plug a threaded EGR hole?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Suggestions on how to plug a threaded EGR hole?

Hey guys. I bought an LS6 intake from SLP with the EGR provisions. Since then EGR has been disconnected on my car, and my shop has capped off the EGR hole on the intake with a crappy looking getto rigged...who knows what. It almost looks like a wheel lock socket welded to something else. I'll take a pic tomorrow when it's bright out.

They said that a freeze plug would not work because the hole was threaded on this intake, unlike OEM LS6 intakes. Is it true that freeze plugs won't work on threaded holes? I'd like any solutions you guys have about plugging it up because my current setup looks like **** and might be leaking a little too.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Freeze plug won't work. I tried it on mine. There is know where for it to expand and hold tight. I used a 2 part epoxy that you nead with your fingers. Liquid steel I think. I filled it in, then sanded it smooth on the inside. Been that way for 4 plus years.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

Hmmm...what about a little of that stuff around the edge of the freeze plug so it will seal?
Old 08-01-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i thought someone makes a "block off plate" you can buy and install yourself for pretty cheap.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I capped mine off with a small plastic bottle cap and sealed the threads with teflon pipe tape. Worked very well. If you want to get fancy and spend a little money, Swagelok makes the EGR fitting on those intakes. The entire fitting (includes all pieces for ~$12) can be bought through one of their vendors. They make several different style caps for that fitting.

On a side note, a little research and some tinkering on my part proved that you can modify an existing LS6 intake with SLPs (Swagelok's) fitting for under $20 and about an hours work!
Old 08-02-2008, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
I capped mine off with a small plastic bottle cap and sealed the threads with teflon pipe tape. Worked very well. If you want to get fancy and spend a little money, Swagelok makes the EGR fitting on those intakes. The entire fitting (includes all pieces for ~$12) can be bought through one of their vendors. They make several different style caps for that fitting.

On a side note, a little research and some tinkering on my part proved that you can modify an existing LS6 intake with SLPs (Swagelok's) fitting for under $20 and about an hours work!
Thanks, this is really helpful info. Now if I can just fiture out which cap I need and where to get it, I'll be set.