Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head bolt rounded off. WTF help

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 02:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default head bolt rounded off. WTF help

Was taking my head off and the center head bolt was rounded how do you get it out.. is there a tool. arp bolts . any help thanks
Old 08-29-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

they make sockets that look like they have teth in them to grab stripped bolt heads. but if that wont work looks like you'll have to use a E-Z out to remove the bolt.just drill a hole and the ez out taps into the hole you drilled and then use a wrench to turn it out(same principle as the 1st it has teeth that grab and cut into the bolt when turned.

good luck man it can be a real pain in the ****
Old 08-29-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's torqued, the e-z out will probably break. They are super hard and because of that, they are also brittle. They won't take a lot of torque so be vey careful. You mat end up having to drill a decent size hole in the center of the bolt and then use a counter sink tool/bit. It will cut away the top of the bolt had if you get the right size. You need one that's a little larger than the bolt head, if it comes to that. If the gripper socket won't work, pm me and I'll show you a picture of one so you know what to get.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I was changing my head bolts to studs I cracked my socket on the back middle driver side bolt and stripped the bolt head. This was almost enough to make a grown man cry. What i did was pull all the rocker arms out and stuff rags in all the push rod hole's then i packed rags all around the valve springs and then duct taped every thing i could leaving only the bolt head showing. Get a helper, shop vac, and a magnet and use a die grinder and grind the head of the bolt off. Be careful not to let it spin out of control and hit any thing else. Have your buddy keep the shop vac close to the grinder and suck most of the metal out. Once the head is gone you can lift the head out and use vice grip's to remove the stud. The bolts dont bottom out in the block so it will come right out. Once I had my head off I removed the cam and took out all the lifters and the plastic trays. Take a magnent and run it through all the lifter boars and any where else you can think of. Then I dumped moter oil all down the lifter holes and cam bearings. I used a quart of oil doing this. After that clean the head very good and check for metal with a magnent. When I had every thing put back together I drained the oil, filled with cheap oil leaving the old oil filter, Pulled my wire's to the coil pacs so engine wouldn't fire and turned over untill oil pressure was building, I heard no bad sounds so I pluged in the coils and fired it up let it run untill i burped out the air in the cooling system then changed the oil/filter with mobil 1 or what ever you run. Good luck take you time and dont beat your self up you'll get it out. here are the tools i ued to grind off the bolt head.
http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com...qx/product.htm
Old 08-29-2008, 03:13 PM
9 Second Club

i will its the back bolt center in the head im pulling the motor out anyway to put a new one in was just trying to pull the heads off so I could get them re done. dam cars.....thanks guys hey does sears carry that tool
Old 08-29-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a place in town called the tool center and they have just about everything If you have a place like that go there. sears might have a die grinder but they my not carry the bit. Here's a link of the type of bit i used to grind with.
http://www.discount-tools.com/42double.cfm
Old 08-29-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Omg! In No Way Should You Grind The Head Of The Bolt Off! If the bolt head is still there but just rounded. pick up one of these. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog but in the correct size. take your time and get a firm bite. In no way would i grind the head of the bolt off just yet.

Last edited by Lt1Porsche; 08-29-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't grind it off either. You would be better off to drill the head off, which won't be easy but better than grinding it by far. Use a drill the same size as the shank of the screw, but it might be easier to start with a smaller bit (say 1/4") first and then step up the the final size. If a high speed drill bit won't drill it, get a carbide drill bit. Once the head pops off you can pull the head then remove the rest of the screw by hand or vice grips.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:31 PM
9 Second Club

ok does anyone carry that. AT a store. nice chick in your sig.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can pick that up from any local snap on rep. call snap on directly and get the name of the reps in your area. they will give you a direct number. then tell them what you need. one of them will have it
Old 08-30-2008, 03:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Craftsman sells the extractors also. I used em a few times and if you carefully hammer it on it should work well. I would be careful to try and keep the tool level and turn slowly. It should come out hopefully. I would try this before grinding the head off.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember last year we were torquing my heads down and one of the center headbolts (an ARP bolt) at the back of the head on the passenger side snapped down inside the block halfway through torquing. 8 hours later with someone that knew how to get that **** out we discovered there was what appeared to be a air pocket inside the bolt...Good luck getting it out. I think with the right tools and enough research on here you can do just about anything. There was tons of info on here about how to get it out

Quick Reply: head bolt rounded off. WTF help