Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange noise - Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange noise - Ticking

I just installed the direct fit Magnaflow cats on my car and now I've got a ticking noise coming from the passenger side. It only happens while I'm giving it light to moderate throttle. I had it visually checked out by a muffler shop and they said the flex pipe is touching the transmission and they think that is what is causing the noise. They said everything else looks tight and they don't hear any leaks.

Any suggestions? The car isn't throwing any codes or acting bad, it's just an annoying noise. I'm used to my car having a clean hum as I accelerate.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 09-09-2008, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have u checked for exhaust leaks at the flanges?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

I haven't checked myself but the shop said they checked over it and didn't hear any leaks. I will check again tonight after the car cools down. I just don't know what else it could be but they had insisted that it wasn't a leak.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I just go home and took another look at the car and it sounds like it's coming from the engine. The only I can think of is that I did something during the time while I was putting in the new exhaust manifolds. I had broke the bolts off of the old exhaust manifolds so I had to put in new ones. I only removed the egr pipes and the coil packs to get to the manifold. I have looked over all of that mulitiple times and it's all back in place like it was. The ticking of course speeds up with the engine's rpm.

What could possibly be causing a ticking noise regarding the coil packs and egr pipes?

Thanks again,
Shawn