Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats all needed with Longtubes (Hooker/Jet Hots)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats all needed with Longtubes (Hooker/Jet Hots)?

I'm gonna go with longtube headers either one that I listed in the subject title.

What is all needed to do the install? o2 simms?

What problems could I run into after the install?

Is it worth doing the install yourself? How much do shops charge to do header installs?

Longtubes will be connected to true dual x-pipe setup (Lanes).

How will it be for a car to be a daily drive with this setup? Will I be hassled by cops??

Anything else i need to know let me hear it...Thanks
Old 09-07-2003, 03:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Whats all needed with Longtubes (Hooker/Jet Hots)?

You have a cutout so being hassled by cops should not be a problem. Go with the Jet-Hot LT's. I have had both and the Jet-Hots are better and cheaper coated. You can use the Hooker y-pipe and all is well. Some exhaust shops could charge as high as $400 bucks. The O2 fitting are better on the Jet-Hots because they are on the inside of the header, not outside like the Hookers.
If you do the install just follow the directions that are included with them and everything will go smooth. One tip would be take the coil packs off the car it makes getting to the bolts so much easier. Hope i helped.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:44 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed my jet hots last weekend with a buddy. had clearance issues on the drivers side; steering shaft and a small piece of the block. my steering shaft was a bitch and didnt come off so i had to shave a small piece of the block off. also removed the oil diverter plate. passenger side went in pretty smooth.

just make sure you have bolts, gaskets, o2 extensions and rear o2 sims if you need them. i didnt use them, o2 sims that is.

i deleted the AIR and EGR while i was add it and will just have all the codes deleted when i get my car tuned.

some tips; PATIENCES!

allow yourself plenty of time and dont rush through it, might as well change the plugs and wires if need be while your at it. organize what you take off so you remember whats what when you go back to install it. Also try and get as much ground clearance as you can.

good luck
Old 09-07-2003, 06:27 AM
TECH Junkie

These type of headers are not that bad to put in, make sure you get the car as high as possible on some high lift jackstands to make sure you have enough room to manuever the headers in. I also have true duals with some spintechs and it is pretty loud like this so you may have to be careful around the police. Also like the others said remove oil diverter plate, oil filter, steering knuckle assembly, coil packs, oil dipstick tube, and you may as well swap in some new spark plugs while you are doing this.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about the AIR and EGR things? I don't have EGR since my car is a 2001 so what do i do about the AIR?
Old 09-08-2003, 10:02 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

when I put in my Hooker Headers...I had the same bolt/steering linkage blocking problem...I also Had to remove the oil filter...and the blockoff plate right above the filter...
I just loosened the steering linkage so it could flex a little(took the bolt in the center out)and then I pushed the motor over a little(flexes on the motor mounts just a hair because it has to)....the a buddy of mine pushed on them from below....and it went up past those two thing no problem.....
also It is a lot easier to work on if you take off the coil packs...some leave them on...but its only 5or6 bolts each...and you gain a hell of a lot of room when you remove them
you can remove air and egr.....On my header..I cut them off...found an old blot that I could also cut off...and used it like a cap in the hole...then I welded it shut....my headers came with a kit to block off egr...I just rtv'd the plate and sinched it down tight then go and get air and egr turned off so it doesnt throw codes....