Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burned up my alternator at the track on friday.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 07:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Burned up my alternator at the track on friday.

Friday night I made 1 pass and right before I crossed the finish line the check gauges light came on. Alternator stopped charging. I was lucky enough to make it to my grandfathers house (23 miles) before the whole car cut out. I replaced my alternator recently due to the same issue. I'm using a reman aftermarket because at the time I couldnt afford the more expensive AC delco. What alternator have you replaced yours with and what kind of luck have you had? I believe my problem was the over-drive pulley I put on thursday. Has anyone had a problem with the over-drive pulley ruining an alternator? Or was the just a coincindence.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt1Porsche
Friday night I made 1 pass and right before I crossed the finish line the check gauges light came on. Alternator stopped charging. I was lucky enough to make it to my grandfathers house (23 miles) before the whole car cut out. I replaced my alternator recently due to the same issue. I'm using a reman aftermarket because at the time I couldnt afford the more expensive AC delco. What alternator have you replaced yours with and what kind of luck have you had? I believe my problem was the over-drive pulley I put on thursday. Has anyone had a problem with the over-drive pulley ruining an alternator? Or was the just a coincindence.
i bought one off e-bay from a place in california.shipped to ny in 2 days.works great ,better than the stock one. Price 75.00 plus shipping.i didnt have an over or under drive pully.but i do have it shoved into an rx7.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So let me get this right, you put on an overdrive pulley on the alternator so it spins fast and now you wonder why it does not last. Why are you using an overdrive alternator pulley, I don't see an underdrive crank pulley in your sig?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
So let me get this right, you put on an overdrive pulley on the alternator so it spins fast and now you wonder why it does not last. Why are you using an overdrive alternator pulley, I don't see an underdrive crank pulley in your sig?
Yea I wonder the same thing but that's what a voltage regulator is for. Most aftermarket alts. are junk so I awould go AC/ delco next time. Learned it the hard way like you
Old 09-16-2008, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was talking about bearing failure and or overheating. The internal fans may not be able to keep up with the increase in heat created by the higher rpm's. F cars are packaged too tight already plus the low alternator position adds to the heat buildup.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
I was talking about bearing failure and or overheating. The internal fans may not be able to keep up with the increase in heat created by the higher rpm's. F cars are packaged too tight already plus the low alternator position adds to the heat buildup.

Good point Never gave it much thought

I am running UD pulley with cam but with more idle so I have no charging probs