Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak at track. don't know where from

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil leak at track. don't know where from

I was at the track. I did my burnout and when i was pulling up to stage there was smoke coming from my hood. I didn't see it at the time because some guy came up to tell me i needed a helmet. after I did my run they shut the track down temporarily to clean up the fluid i had left down the whole track. My friend called me and told me what happened cause i knew nothing of it. I pulled over coming back from the end of the track, shut the car off and went to check my oil. the first thing I noticed was that the dip stick was hanging out about an inch. there were oil spots all over on that side of the engine compartment, but the oil level was still at a decent level. We looked under the car and there was a very very slow drip from the area around the back of the oil pan in a line from side to side. we checked the PCV hoses and they were good. the transmission had good fluid level too.
I drove it home and everything was fine. I'm just looking for some ideas on what could of happened or where the oil is coming from..
Old 09-21-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its almost obvious it came from your dipstick, oil will come out of the tube when the stick is not all the way in or missing. clean up your engine bay drive the car then check again for leaks.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did. it happened again. I am thinking the rings aren't seated fully yet of possibly a broken ring or maybe installed upside down. I'm going to do a compression test today.