Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some questions about issues after LS6 intake install

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Some questions about issues after LS6 intake install

Ok I installed an LS6 intake with egr provisions about a month ago. I've now had a SES light on for running lean both banks, the car also ran rough at idle. The EGR valve had a hole in it so I replaced that with a used EGR Valve from a 100k mile car, though I still had the SES light afterward and the car drove fine to work, but then on the way home it started stumbling at idle again. Also I've been questioning if my injectors have been in place all the way as the metal at the bottom shows a bit, about the thickness of 2 quarters yet I can not get the injectors to go into the intake any further at all. Could that be where I'm having issues? Is there a trick to getting the injectors all the way in place? Or is it the EGR thats giving me trouble and I just need a tune?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

was the idle higher then usual ? i know that little sealing o-ring where it goes on the intake can be a little tricky to get seated properly
Old 10-06-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No, The idle is normal except when it starts to get a bit rough and then it drops to maybe 450-500rpm. Also the issue is somewhat intermittent as a couple of times I stopped at a light it didn't run rough at all, but then at other times it'd be very rough. I just seem to think that the injectors aren't seated in all the way and without removing the rails from the fuel line makes it a bit rough to place into the manifold without a flat surface to work on. Does the fuel line need to be pulled to do it and can the fuel line tube to the rails just be pulled off the rail?

I have already replaced the PCV Valve & the Oil Pressure sending unit during the intake install. The EGR valve I just put on the car had quite a good bit of carbon in it and I cleaned out the part that goes into the intake manifold good with some 2+2 carb cleaner. I really want to figure out the injectors, that way I can get the issue out of the way.

Last edited by 1 Bad Ass Formula; 10-06-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Pulling the fuel line is pretty simple. You need a 3/8 fuel line disconnect tool. (cheap to buy at any autoparts store) I would go over the whole intake setup and check everything thoroughly to make sure it is properly seated and sealed. Lube the injector o-rings lightly too before inserting them. Mine made a "pop" noise when they seated in the intake. Then you can bolt them down.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

Yea plus if the injector wasnt seated properly, It would leak. Regardless thats not going to affect your idle
Old 10-06-2008, 10:37 PM

Take carb cleaner or wd 40 and spray around base of intake. if idle changes you got the leak i had. The bolts under the intake that hold the valley cover down are taller on earlier motors... you can grind them down or go get bolts with thinner tops or button head bolts with allen heads...dont drive it like that. Also put sealer on all bolts in intake manifold area. Some go into ports and can cause leakes... Also heard ls6 will crack if you crank down on bolts like above....Call 817 488 9452 if you have questions ....Chad
Old 10-06-2008, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

The main thing you need to do when swaping a LS1 for any aftermarket manifold is to remove the Knock sensor clips and swapping the coolant steam tubes to the LS6 style. The shorter valley bolts are for like a FAST install. Dont know about the WEIAND or BBK.