Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this PCV valve and catch can setup properly?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this PCV valve and catch can setup properly?

Can someone please confirm that this setup is wrong? I believe this is not correct. The top line is connected to the PCV valve and then goes to the front of the LS6 manifold. The bottom line is just hose and goes to the top of the LS6 valley cover. I think the PCV valve should be on the top line but going to the top of the valley cover not?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
pcv.bmp (340.9 KB, 706 views)
Old 10-07-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No that is not correct it should look like this

Old 10-07-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

so the pcv valve goes on the bottom line? the top line where is that going on your setup do you have a ls6 or ls1 valley cover? i'm confused
Old 10-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chadnol10
so the pcv valve goes on the bottom line? the top line where is that going on your setup do you have a ls6 or ls1 valley cover? i'm confused
I looks like The op has an LS6 valley cover where as torched ta is still using the oem pcv on his set up. torched Ta's setup is good if you have the OEM pcv however since you have an ls6 valley cover like me you will want to run the top hose of the catch can into the valley cover and the hose that comes off the side of the catch can into the intake! if you have any questions Feel free to PM me Ill shoot you some pics

Last edited by Justin93; 10-07-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

i believe the picture is an LS1 valley if i'm correct. Can anyone confirm if the hoses are right for an LS6 cause i'm really not sure anymore
Old 10-07-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

you know what i never took into consideration about the LS6 valley.....
Old 10-07-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

anybody have the answer?
Old 10-07-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

anybody have the answer?
are both hoses coming from your catch can going to where the intake and TB are? If so then you have an LS6 valley plate.

If they are set up like mine, i have the stock valley plate
Old 10-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Launching!

i believe the picture is an LS1 valley if i'm correct. Can anyone confirm if the hoses are right for an LS6 cause i'm really not sure anymore
I would flip the connections, Valley- to top of catch can, Side of catch can to intake.

check these pics out of my setup! Same ls6 valley cover
P.S. that silver thing you see on the top line is a Aftermarket PCV Valve as i was too cheap to pay $60 for the ls6 pcv line!

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o...FRONTOFPCV.jpg

top View
http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o...OFCATCHCAN.jpg
Old 10-07-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

chadnol10,

You have to tell us whether or not you are using valve cover breathers in order to receive the correct answer.

-If no breathers, then the LS6 valley nipple goes to the bottom catch can line w/ the PCV valve mounted in that same bottom line. The PCV valve should open in the direction of the can. The top of the can then must run to each valve cover & the intake. There are many ways to do this. As long as they are connected, it is correct. (Do Not plug the valve covers & then only run the top of the can to the intake). Although, it will work, there will be no cleansing airflow through the valves.

If you have breathers, then just run the bottom line from the LS6 nipple w/ the PCV installed as stated above & then just vent the top of the catch can to atmosphere. (Do Not connect the top line to the intake & valve covers if you are using breathers). This will allow un-measured air to enter that will result in a lean condition. This will max out your STFT's & eventually your LTFT's leaving no safety net to correct for other lean conditions that may occur.

Before the "I did it like that withouta problem" crowd jumps in; chadnol10 asked for the correct way. The correct way(s) are noted.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

i do not have a breather because i just have bolt ons and after reading lots and lots of threads it was advised to not put a breather on. It seemed that a catch can was the best bet for the setup that i have. I do have a LS1 motor but did do the ls6 valley cover conversion.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

-If no breathers, then the LS6 valley nipple goes to the bottom catch can line w/ the PCV valve mounted in that same bottom line. The PCV valve should open in the direction of the can. The top of the can then must run to each valve cover & the intake. There are many ways to do this. As long as they are connected, it is correct. (Do Not plug the valve covers & then only run the top of the can to the intake). Although, it will work, there will be no cleansing airflow through the valves.

ANYBODY HAVE A PICTURE OF THIS SETUP????????????
Old 10-07-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

according to this statement LS1-450 then the pictures that Justin93 put up are wrong also. He has a LS6 valley cover but he is running it to the top line in the catch can from the valley nipple???

Is that correct or no?
Old 10-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Launching!

This is the write up I based mine off of, and yes I am using valve cover breathers.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81389
Old 10-07-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

according to this statement LS1-450 then the pictures that Justin93 put up are wrong also. He has a LS6 valley cover but he is running it to the top line in the catch can from the valley nipple???

Is that correct or no?

My point about mounting the PCV valve in the bottom was that mounting to the bottom makes for easy venting @ the top of the can. If you want to mount it in the top, it's OK. Just position it so that the PCV opens toward the intake.

As for connecting a catch can directly to the intake & the LS6 valley cover while using breathers: The intake will suck air through the breathers & send it to the combustion chamber. This un-measured air is added to the measured (MAF) air & creates a lean condition. The O2's indicate to the PCM that the mix is lean & the PCM reacts by increasing your fuel trims. As mentioned in my previous post, this eliminates your safety net for reacting to lean conditions.

I use breathers as well. Difference being that my LS6 valley cover runs to a catch can through a PCV valve. The catch can is then vented to atmosphere.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Launching!

pardon my retardisim lol, Im just not getting it. So Is my setup wrong then? I was always told you want the Oil to filter through the top of the catchcan where the mesh filter is and then suck the clean air through the side of the can. thanks for the Clarification
Old 10-07-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Justin93
pardon my retardisim lol, Im just not getting it. So Is my setup wrong then? I was always told you want the Oil to filter through the top of the catchcan where the mesh filter is and then suck the clean air through the side of the can. thanks for the Clarification

My comments are not related to the operation of a catch can & are soley made regarding routing of the PCV system. I also clarified that the PCV valve can be mounted in either the top or the bottom, as long as, it opens toward the intake. My catch can is an empty Monster drink can. This is why I stay away from commenting about the operation of varying catch cans. So, if the manufacturer of your catch can states in the top & out the bottom..... Again, my comments are related to the PCV routing itself. For this reason, the PCV doesn't care where it enters the can. Your install looks good to me.

Important things:

1) LS6 valley cover, no valve cover air breathers
Routing is from LS6 valley cover nipple to the can, then to the intake. Also, must connect both valve covers to the intake in some manner.

2) LS6 valley cover, with valve cover air breathers
Routing is from LS6 valley cover nipple to the can, then vent the can to atmosphere. Do not connect the valve covers to the intake.

3) LS1 type PCV, no valve cover breathers
Single PCV line (after Y connection) to can then to intake.

Top or bottom of can makes no difference to me. Just do as the manufacturer states. PCV toward intake.

Hope this helps.

PS: I have logged STFT's while using valve cover breathers & connecting the LS6 valley cover to the intake. The log showed maxed STFT's. After removing the connection to the intake, the STFT's returned to normal.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

One other point of clarification regarding the Justin93 link.

"SARGE" is very experienced & has done one of a few things when he connected his catch can to the intake.

1) He has a speed density tune that was not mentioned

2) He re-scaled his MAF table to compensate for the vacuum leak created by allowing un-measured air to enter the engine.

3) Forgot to mention the potential problem this creates for guys whom do not tune.

Again, connecting the valley cover to the intake without re-scaling the MAF or using a SD tune, severely hinders the PCM's ability to react to lean conditions.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Launching!

ah I see. I was having a lean condition previous to me installing the PCV valve into the line going to the top of the catch can. It was allowing too much air to flow into the intake and was Idling like ****! I didnt know he had an sd tune, so that explains alot! Thanks man! That clears up my confusion. So I should take off the Line running to the intake and attach a little filter to the catch can in its place to open air vent it!? I think Im understanding now, Sorry its been a long night here at work lol

Last edited by Justin93; 10-07-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1-450
1) LS6 valley cover, no valve cover air breathers
Routing is from LS6 valley cover nipple to the can, then to the intake. Also, must connect both valve covers to the intake in some manner.
This second sentence just seems weird. The valve covers are sealed off when you do the LS6 valley cover mod according to the LS1howto.com site correct?

What if you have the newer PCV valve (it is an small orifice that is always open apposed to the old design) does it really matter what direction it is.

I know the LS2 is a different animal but after looking at my friends 2007 vette the hose goes strait from the valley cover to the intake with no PCV valve. Any input on this setup?

Quick Reply: Is this PCV valve and catch can setup properly?