Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluttering Sound--AIR Suspected

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fluttering Sound--AIR Suspected

I started an attempt this past weekend to change spark plug wires on my Z28. Got all but # 8 off Saturday, #8 had the wire pull from the boot on the plug and I was unable to remove the boot from that plug until Tuesday, got the wire swapped out, and everything put back together.

Cranked the vehicle up and ran it, when cold-first started up---while revving the engine, it makes a loud fluttering noise thru the exhaust. I think I know the problem, but just wanting to confirm my thoughts. But when I was pulling the AIR tubes, the passenger side metal gasket actually split into 2 seperate halves. I guess these gaskets are made of a double layer, the gasket is complete in the sense that it covers the connection, but just split into to pieces. I have replacement gaskets on hold for me at the dealership after work, just wanting to make sure that this could/would cause the sound.

I'm picking the gasket up either way. The car ran damn good, better than it has in a while, had a bad plug wire, and the sound went away after the car was warm.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be the AIR check valves, the black bulbous things a little bit further up from where the tubes meet the manifolds.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Veteran

yeah was going to check that also.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok, going to ask some more questions, hope to get some replies. I checked the AIR, replaced both gaskets at the manifolds. Still no help. Still getting the fluttering sound when revving it up. I have also noticed that the exhaust seems to be popping or backfiring when letting off the gas at WOT. The only things I messed with when changing out the plug wires were removing the air tubes from the manifolds, moving the passenger side coil packs out of the way, the plug wires. I did not remove the plugs themselves, although they probably should have been. Ever since replacing the wires, the car seems to be acting weird, runs good and strong at times, but at others seems to be down on power (certain parts of the power band) Exhaust seems poppy or even slight backfiring at times. What is the possibility that the plugs themselves need to be changed? Maybe I cracked one trying to pull the wires? These are the original (to my knowledge) spark plugs on the car, 55K miles, I bought the car from my dad about 3 months ago.

Quick Reply: Fluttering Sound--AIR Suspected