Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Burning oil?

After my buddy did his head/cam swap and got the car tuned, he noticed blueish smoke coming out his tailpipes. Now we know its buring oil and also consumed about 1qt. of oil a month. We installed a catch can and help a little, but still does the same thing.

Now we were told it could be the rings or valve guides on the heads. How would we determine which one it could be? Is there a way to test it to see if its coming from the rings or the valve guides?

We are kinda clueless on why the car never smoked and once the head/cam and dyno-tuned was finished, it started to smoke some. Any input would be appreciate guys!
Old 10-10-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tnmotown
After my buddy did his head/cam swap and got the car tuned, he noticed blueish smoke coming out his tailpipes. Now we know its buring oil and also consumed about 1qt. of oil a month. We installed a catch can and help a little, but still does the same thing.

Now we were told it could be the rings or valve guides on the heads. How would we determine which one it could be? Is there a way to test it to see if its coming from the rings or the valve guides?

We are kinda clueless on why the car never smoked and once the head/cam and dyno-tuned was finished, it started to smoke some. Any input would be appreciate guys!
do a compression test, and then a leakdown test on the cyls that produce lower numbers than the other. youll have to look up the spec, but i believe its around 190 or so. i would guess rings though. usually with valve guides it only smokes on startup. or maybe try switching to a thicker oil?
Old 10-11-2008, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

ok i'll try the test's to see if its losing compression or something. Yeah i thought if valve guides it will just smoke on start up. But sometimes it doesnt when it starts up cold, but when it warms up it tends to happen
Old 10-11-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several things need to be checked.

First - which heads? Were the guides and seals new?
second - when does it smoke - deceleration, start up or ander heavy throttle?
Third, is it running rich - who did the tune?
Old 10-11-2008, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Several things need to be checked.

First - which heads? Were the guides and seals new?
second - when does it smoke - deceleration, start up or ander heavy throttle?
Third, is it running rich - who did the tune?
1st-guides and seals im not too sure of.
2nd- usually smokes after car is warmed up. Not deceleration NOR acceleration. Does tend to smoke a little during idle. Cold start up not really, but if car has been ran then let sit for 10 mins and start again, smoke will shot out.
3rd- I had it dyno-tuned by Newtech and dont think its running rich. I nailed the aif-fuel dead on
Old 10-11-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull your plugs and see if they have oil on them. If they are coated about a 95% it is your valve guides. Also if you didnt put any teflon tape or somesort of sealent on the rocker are bolts do that. Oil will be drawn thru there and be burnt.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

I didnt put any teflon on the rocker arm bolts, instead i used locktite. I'll go out and check the plugs