Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant decide what to do...Please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant decide what to do...Please help

Hey guys. I just bought a 05 LQ4 and I was looking for recommendations or dyno graphs on what certain cams will gain gain on stock milled 317 heads? I am debating on whether or not to get aftermarket heads, but they seem like they dont pack a whole lot of bang for your buck. Being I am a college student, I dont have a pot to **** in, so im trying to spend my money in the right parts. Keep in mind that I have a 6.0 and am looking for advice or numbers on them. My goals are about 400-425 hp AND tq at the rear wheels through an auto. Along with my power goals, I would like to have a very usable power curve. Let me know what you guys think and who else I can contact who has seen results from different combinations on 6 liters.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Bump, Please help me out here. I have to get this project done very soon. Thanks
Old 10-27-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just mill the heads and keep stock cam. that will enuff to keep u happy
to begin with. get ls6 intake and headers
will make over 400 tq with just that
Old 10-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Launching!

...this is so confusing. I highly doubt a stock cam will get me to my goals...Any sponsors I talk to are saying I will need heads and cam to get me there and that I will run into clearance issues when I mill the heads and put a decent cam in. All I want is a square answer as to what will get me a bunch of power under the curve and roughly 400hp and tq at the wheels. Let me know, Thanks
Old 10-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Whats the motor going into and what transmission are you going to use?
Whats the purpose of this car? Street or Strip?

Im in the same boat. However, Im building a street oriented car (see sig). I have an 04 LQ4 that Im going to be using. Im keeping the stock heads on there! So what if I have 9.4:1 compression? At least I can run around on mid-grade gasoline.

However, I will be upgrading the camshaft, valve springs, timing chain, oil pump. For the intake manifold, I will use the LS6. For the exhaust, some modified 1 3/4 headers, with 2.5inch dual exhaust. Mine will be hooked up to a 5 speed manual.
Depending on the cam I pick (will have to work with LS6 yellow valve springs) and the tune, I should be around or over 380+RWHP and TQ with ease!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Full size and weight 86 monte carlo and will be in front of a level 4 4L60E from FLT. I am also building a mostly street driven setup but you can still run pump gas on 10.5:1 compression and have a much better setup.

The main question I have is how much will I actually gain and is it worth it for my goals to upgrade heads? I dont want to have a huge cam that makes alot of power up top and not use it a whole lot. This is why I ask if I would be able to tailor my setup to have alot of power under the curve if I had aftermarket heads. Let me know. Thanks
Old 10-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by samh_08
Full size and weight 86 monte carlo and will be in front of a level 4 4L60E from FLT. I am also building a mostly street driven setup but you can still run pump gas on 10.5:1 compression and have a much better setup.

The main question I have is how much will I actually gain and is it worth it for my goals to upgrade heads? I dont want to have a huge cam that makes alot of power up top and not use it a whole lot. This is why I ask if I would be able to tailor my setup to have alot of power under the curve if I had aftermarket heads. Let me know. Thanks
The 317 heads that are on that LQ4 are pretty much the same as the 243 LS6 heads, only difference is the combustion chamber volume.

Now if you change heads to even a set of take off LS6 heads, or mill down the 317s, I would guesstimate (based on other combos Ive read up on), at least a 20 +/- HP gain, and 30+/- TQ gain at the motor.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by magic
Whats the motor going into and what transmission are you going to use?
Whats the purpose of this car? Street or Strip?

Im in the same boat. However, Im building a street oriented car (see sig). I have an 04 LQ4 that Im going to be using. Im keeping the stock heads on there! So what if I have 9.4:1 compression? At least I can run around on mid-grade gasoline.

However, I will be upgrading the camshaft, valve springs, timing chain, oil pump. For the intake manifold, I will use the LS6. For the exhaust, some modified 1 3/4 headers, with 2.5inch dual exhaust. Mine will be hooked up to a 5 speed manual.
Depending on the cam I pick (will have to work with LS6 yellow valve springs) and the tune, I should be around or over 380+RWHP and TQ with ease!

did u say 5 spd.?
i hope u dont mean a t5? unless its one of those gforce t5's its going to be a grenade behind a ls motor.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NemeSS
did u say 5 spd.?
i hope u dont mean a t5? unless its one of those gforce t5's its going to be a grenade behind a ls motor.
Ive got my sights on a Tremec TKO600...or as you mentioned a G-Force T5.
Depends on what I can find and for how much.

Unless I can score a deal on a T56, I'll go that route.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by magic
Ive got my sights on a Tremec TKO600...or as you mentioned a G-Force T5.
Depends on what I can find and for how much.

Unless I can score a deal on a T56, I'll go that route.
just go with a fbody t56, no fancy bellhousings, spacers, special custom flywheels. fork out for a t56, everything lines up, no mess, no probs., no issues
Old 10-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Launching!

...thanks for the hyjack