Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, so much for stealth ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Well, so much for stealth ...

I got the Pacesetters installed finally. I have an SLP 2OTL catback which was nice and quiet with stock cats and Y. Not anymore! It really isn't too bad on the freeway at 2K RPM, but when I took it down the road 3/4 mile and back, my wife heard me the whole way. And I wasn't on it - just driving normal. So, mabye it is duals time with quiet mufflers

There were no fitment problems or flange bolt alignment problems. I did the whole install by myself, and it was easy. The hardest part was removing the **** on the left rear of the block. The headers and Y tuck up about as close as they can without hitting. I did put in a poly left mount while I was at it, but I have no banging at all.

Several people have reported that their Pacesetter Y was not flared to fit over the collectors. Mine was, so that was not a problem. However, the back end of the Y was reduced from 3" to ~2.85", as was the SLP I pipe. I decided not to weld them toghether since it would make it more difficult to take apart. I used a piece of the I pipe I cut off to make a collar and tracked down a wide band clamp. The clamp over the collar, with the openings in each staggered seems to do the job.

I had to file (or grind) the O2 holes. The hole in the pipe was offset or too small to let the sensor go in. I'd read that and was prepared.

I have also heard carps about the quality of the Pacesetters. I've designed and built quite a few sets of headers in my time and I would judge the Pacesetters as a heck of a deal considering the compeition. Yeah, you can get SBC headers cheaper, but they don't count. I can't see how you can get enough value to justify the two or three times more expensive brands. If you just have to have stainless, well you will have to pay the price, but the coating on the Pacesetters looks good to me
Old 09-17-2003, 05:14 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Well, so much for stealth ...

after the installation of my jet hots and custom Y and magnaflows my daily around town and freeway sound didnt differ all that much from my old setup; stock manifolds and Y with flowmasters. it screams at WOT through

i had the grind off the **** on the block too for my jet hots. pacesetters would of been my 2nd choice in LT had i not gotten such a great deal on my setup.

do you have any sound clips? mine are in my sig
Old 09-18-2003, 06:36 AM
TECH Resident

Weld some cats into your y-pipe. That should quiet things down if the sound is objectionable.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

after the installation of my jet hots and custom Y and magnaflows my daily around town and freeway sound didnt differ all that much from my old setup; stock manifolds and Y with flowmasters. it screams at WOT through
No, mine is definately louder at idle and definately louder on the freeway at 2000. First time I fired it, without even touching the throttle, my wife said "*&^%* you said it wasn't going to be loud!"
i had the grind off the **** on the block too for my jet hots. pacesetters would of been my 2nd choice in LT had i not gotten such a great deal on my setup.
Yeah, saw didn't fit so I made lots of silver snow with a die grinder ...
do you have any sound clips? mine are in my sig
Sorry, no. I don't really have anyway to make sound clips. I don't have a video cam and my RatShack pocket digital recorder doesn't have a USB connection
Old 09-18-2003, 04:48 PM
10 Second Club

Weld some cats into your y-pipe. That should quiet things down if the sound is objectionable.
You are kidding, right?