Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Piston slap" a weak point in engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Piston slap" a weak point in engine?

I have piston slap in my 02 ws6 and know that it's not much of a problem. my question is that when it comes time to put heads and cam in the car will this become a weak point in the engine. I've read several threads that say nothing will happen to the cylinder walls or pistons, but these were all stock motors. What happens when a performance cam and heads go on? I have no clue what heads and cam will go on the car, this is just a question that arose the other day. Will excessive wear result on the cylinder walls and pistons? preciate any input.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

i have the slap in my 01, and i have known people who have it in fixed up ls1's. although it should not pose a threat with those mods, i would not go put a turbo on without first getting some new pistons and heavy duty rings. besides the annoying tapping, i believe it will not give you any problems at all.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only reason an LS1 has "piston slap" is because of the short skirt pistons they use. When they get warm things expand and tighten up. It doesn't cause any problems.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

I also have a 2002 ws6 and it also has "piston slap"
in the first piston.
I have had mechanics check it for me, and they say its not a real deal. the only thing that might get on your nerves is the annoying "knocking" type sound. they have also told me that the car should be able to handel but to a 150 shot of No2 with the piston slap.

so dont worry about it.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adriangarcia404
they have also told me that the car should be able to handel but to a 150 shot of No2 with the piston slap.

so dont worry about it.
Hahahaha....yeah, I just love all the great advice that 'they' has to offer.