Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam sensor what does it do and what are symptoms when its not working ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cam sensor what does it do and what are symptoms when its not working ?

I just did engine swap and had some trouble getting cam sensor connector in the there. Buddy finally did but now wondering if he bent a pin or something?

The car seems to run not bad but today hooked up my laptop and it gave me a bunch of pending immature cam sensor codes? Nothing has actually tripped a code yet?

Another weird thing happening is my tach is cuttting out and coming back yet my scanner or laptop isn't. Not sure if this is related to the cam sensor ??

Also i turned off random misfire today and thats think first time noticed the cam sensor warning..is that related?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of your problems sound related to the cam sensor. I would start by checking the cam sensor pins and connector terminals, more than likely one of the terminal(s) on your cam sensor is bent and your connector may have a spread terminal(s) too . The tach does receive it's signal from the cam sensor. While your there check out the routing of the cam sensor harness.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too bad only way to check things is yank the intake manifold so might not be doing that till spring since not going to be driving car much more its getting pretty awful out here now.

I will likely get new cam sensor if they aren't too expensive. It must be intermittent as it comes and goes. So would lean to bent pin or something like that. That harness is no where near anything hot I don't think.

Quick Reply: Cam sensor what does it do and what are symptoms when its not working ?