Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 engine build

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 engine build

hey guys i blew my 5.3 and i would like to rebuild and get some power out of it,i need some opinions on what to do . I would have to get a bore on the block ,so what size bore should i go with, i will run the stock crank eagle rods, need new pistons , and i will get these heads reworked .anyway i need some opinions on the block and a good size cam to run . thanks
Old 11-18-2008, 10:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're gonna bore it the only option in aftermarket pistons are LS1 replacements. Which means you can choose anywhere from 3.898 to 3.905 bore and you'll end up with a 346/347. This will also really broaden your cam options. In order for someone to recommend something you're gonna have to list a lot more details.
Such as:
What is the engine in?
What transmission are you planning on running?
What is your intended use for the vehicle?
What supporting mods do you have?
What is your budget?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3

thanks for the input ,my buddy built the engine he knows what i have ,i will get the info tommorrow.thanks for the input.
for now it is going in my single cab silverado
i will keep my 4l60 with the 2800 stall until it goes, have a 4l80 waitin in the garage.
i know the heads were about 3000 4 yrs ago, so i would like to get them reworked(i will get the specs on them)
eaton posi rearend
eagle rods
the problem was the cam was too big ,when we build it i wanted to put a blower on it, never did, and i kept breaking the springs.
i want something with alittle torque but i would like to make something out of what i have.
thanks
Old 11-18-2008, 11:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a single cab with a 346 a 224/224 cam will do really well. Nice bottom end torque with good peak power and midrange.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:24 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wiseco now has a 5.3L piston in standard bore or .020" over so you don't have to bore the block out to 3.905" anymore! They have the pistons for stock stroke or 4" (which would be a 359ci IIRC). The stock stroke piston has a flat-top 2.2cc valve relief. The 4" stroke piston has a 7cc dish.

Let us know if we can help with your build. Of course we still offer all the LSx pistons for the bigger bore too, should you decide to go that route!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Quick Reply: 5.3 engine build