Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What causes a "Galled" or jagged valve guide?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 02:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What causes a "Galled" or jagged valve guide?

This is a first for me.. I have a set of 243 heads used off my buddies 30k mile 01 z06.

One of the exhaust valves would NOT Remove without pulling, and turning the valve allot. all the others slide right out.

The valve slides back and forth in its bore like all the others with no resistance(feels the same)

If you shine a light into the bore its jagged or galled if that describes it better.

What caused this, and Can I leave it alone if theres no play in the guide(side to side and it moves back and forth good)
Old 11-24-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Intake and exhaust valves should slide easily in and out of their respective guides. You should have very little to no play at all even with the valve seals in place. That's why we have to use compressed air in the cylinder to keep the valves up and to stop them from falling when changing valve springs etc (that's if you leave the heads on the car).

The main cause of a jagged or warped valves comes from spinning the engine too high...I think most of us have been there and done that. However other factors like foreign objects in the engine, weak springs, slipped timing chain can cause warped valves too. Hopefully that helps you some.

Last edited by Halloran; 11-24-2008 at 04:01 PM.

Quick Reply: What causes a "Galled" or jagged valve guide?