Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some quick help with carbon build up

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need some quick help with carbon build up

I was doing a plug change on my 98 TA when i ran into some probs. I started with the driver side of course and they were all ok. Then when i went to the passenger side every plug had major carbon build up on them. I thought it was wierd that one side is fine and then the other had not one with build up but all of them. Also now im seeing that on cold starts it leaves carbon on the ground and all in the exhaust. What could be the cause of this prob? I dont know what it could be.

Oh also when driving it seems to cut in and out as far as power goes like its choking every now and then

Thanks for any help

J
Old 11-27-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TTT for the day..... Come on someone has to know somthing about this issue
Old 11-27-2008, 04:34 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could simply be something like an exhaust leak on that side.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would bet the converter on that side is stopping up, and or it had already stopped up and was replaced on that side of the car. That head has actually had excess heat, and has cooked your valve seals, and the carbon buildup is actually oil that is burning on the plugs and turning into CHARCOL briquets! You need to have the heads freshened up and put new plugs in the car! I would also make sure your PCV system is working, which can cause sludge to build up in the valve cover valley and preventing the oil from draining back properly.I know of several people on this site who have low mileage LS1 heads that they would be willing to sell for cheap. I have my stock LS1 heads from a 2002 TA with less than 30k miles on them...fully assembled, which would be a viable alternative to having yours redone!

Quick Reply: Need some quick help with carbon build up