Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 vette motor any pros or conns

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 vette motor any pros or conns

whats going on guys im putting an ls1 in my mustang and found a killer deal on a 98 ls1 out of a vett. im going to convert it to a manual throttle body change the computer and harness and let it rip. however somebody told me they re designed the ls1 in 1999 to the center valve cover bolt design because they were having head gasket problems anybody hear about this? please toss your opinions up asap because im going sometime tomorrow to check out this motor.

thanks all
Old 11-30-2008, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ls1ws6
whats going on guys im putting an ls1 in my mustang and found a killer deal on a 98 ls1 out of a vett. im going to convert it to a manual throttle body change the computer and harness and let it rip. however somebody told me they re designed the ls1 in 1999 to the center valve cover bolt design because they were having head gasket problems anybody hear about this? please toss your opinions up asap because im going sometime tomorrow to check out this motor.

thanks all
It has nothing to do with a head gasket problem. They don't have any head gasket problem anyway. The biggest differance is that it's alot easier to pull the valve covers with the center bolt covers. They claim the 97- early 2000 have weaker rod bolts but if ya don't wind it to the moon you won't have any problem. My 97 vette and 2000 ta have the so called weak rod bolts so I just keep it under 6500 rpms. But whoever said they have head problems was misinformed for sure
Old 11-30-2008, 01:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks my buddy said he thaught they re designed the bolt pattern in the heads when they re did the covers we are all first gen chevy guys im just getting a little creative with an ls1 in my mustang and were starting from scratch with the new technoligy but thanks for your help ill be sure to have money in my pocket when i look at that motor tomorrow
Old 11-30-2008, 04:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope head bolt pattern is the same. I would have to say that you will need an oil pan from the fbody since the vette pan is the wide flat pan. The pan in the fbody is more like the normal pan.