Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with rod bearings

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 07:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help with rod bearings

ok we pulled the motor out of my 98 it had 2 blown head gaskets, i thought since its out i could put new rod bearings and arp rod bolts in it. the car has 83,33x miles but the bearings look good from what my builder says. kinda in a jam because my build has the motor done but i asked if he could hold off a coulpe more days to see if we should replace bearings and arp rod bolts.

i wanted to replace the bearings and rod bolts because its out of the car and it does have 83k miles on them. the problem is what size bearings do i go with are they Dowel Pin Hole and what coating, Chamfered Bearing? im looking into clevite bearings because thats what we replaced the cam bearings with.

what do you guys think?

Last edited by rob scott; 12-01-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

t t t
Old 12-02-2008, 08:18 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Me personally, I'd never upgrade to the ARP bolts without resizing the rods. The Clevite bearings for that are for an undersized crank anyways, so you'd have to have the crank turned.

Whichever you go with:
a) you don't need the dowel pin hole unless you are using an aluminum rod with a dowel pin in it.
b) If you REALLY want a coating, Calico does a NICE job. Polydyne is an option as well.
c) Unless the crank was turned, or you have an aftermarket crank with a radius instead if fillet on the rod journals, you don't need a chamfered bearing either.

Clevite's P bearings are fine (the passanger car ones). I hear ACL's are good and have more bearing crush to them.