Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 help!

hey guys, any help here is appreciated.

i have a 86 IROC Z coupe in MINT cond. but it's got the 305 LG4.
am picking up a LQ4 this weekend with 82,000kms on it...not miles!
questions are,

am wanting it carb'd. will that work?
is there a hole in the block for the distributor shaft to run the oil pump?
pretty sure i will req. an extrenal fuel pump??? correct?
what sorta mess am i into mounting all the accesories on the front of the engine. alt power steering pump mainly?

thanks guys.....am newer to domestic stuff....so any advice is appreciated.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are better off staying EFI. The Gen3 motors (LQ4) do not have provisions for distributors like SBC, since they are coil on plug type setup. The oil pump is driven off of the crank behind the front cover. Your 1986 should already have an intake fule pump, you will need to upgrade it if you stay EFI, for carb you need to regulate it down to 6 psi. You want to look for F-Body accessories to simplify the swap. Check out thirdgen.org or the conversion section of this forum for more in depth info on swapping a Gen3/LQ4 into a 3rd gen.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

There is alot of work involved in this swap, But there are many people who have done it. Good Luck with your decision and what ^ he said is all true.

Also if you plan on using a LQ4, you'll have to score an ignition controller from MSD to control the ignition. Not to mention the motor mounts, and headers, and all of the misc. stuff too. Also don't forget about the Transmission, Thats gonna cost you too. No matter if you go with a 4l60e or a turbo 400 there are still things you'll need to buy. The transmission controller for the 4l60e isn't cheap!

James
Old 12-11-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

I'm currently doing a carbed LQ4 build. You will want to make use of the individual coil design as it works pretty darned well.

TO make the swap work you will need:

Cam sensor
Crank Sensor
MAP sensor
GMPP/Edelbrock intake manifold (carbed w/o injector bungs is alot cheaper)
Carb
Gaskets
MSD 6010 box
MSD harness to coils/sensors

All other sensors are optional to be honest. If you go with a 4L60E you will need to run it off the stock ECU. To use a TH400/TH350 like i am, you will need to go one of two options:

TCI LS1/TH400 flexplate and custom convetor
or
$35 Spacer, stock LS1 flexplate, and regular old TH400/350 convertor.

Option 2 has worked just as well as option 1 and will save you money. You will also save money on all the additional sensors, wiring harness, injectors, manifold, and TB by going carbed over injected. Plus you can tune the timing curves on a laptop via a USB port on the MSD box making it a lil more user friendly than a distributor.