Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flywheel HP vs. RWHP

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 05:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flywheel HP vs. RWHP

Did anyone see the article by Car Craft Magazine that measured engine dyno HP and RWHP ....the same engines were used in the analysis???? ....amazing!

It stated that most people believe you loose 15%HP; the anlayisis tested this theory..

If the article was correct, the loss is typically much greater....

The greatest power dranining things, you ask?

...radiator fans bolted to the engine (about 20HP) and auto transmissions that do not lock up their torque converters (about 20HP)...

...although I am getting really tired of these magazine since all they print are stories on how to build ancient iron small and big Chevy's from decades past, this was an interesteing article.....

Old 09-29-2003, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Default Re: Flywheel HP vs. RWHP

sounds interesting...

20 horsepower for a fan?? ouch... my buddy's dad has a custom roadster w/ a chevy 383 and I keep tellin him to take that damn crank driven fan off... maybe if i show him this article this will convince him to go electric!

by the way, I'm from White Plains, I shot ya an email a while back, not sure if you received it!

Old 09-30-2003, 01:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Flywheel HP vs. RWHP

yeh; i got it....your the guy that asked about LS1Edit, right? ...see TATommy here for advice; he also lives in Hartsdale and knows about this stuff..I'm clueless...

The other big drain is power accessories, particularly water pumps....

I'd go with an electric H2O pump, but they say the are only good for track only cars....