Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flycut the pistons for G5X2 Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flycut the pistons for G5X2 Cam?

We are currently running MTI's X1 Cam
230/227/591/571 on 114. We recently took the motor apart and found the piston was hitting the valve on every cylinder. My plans were to install the G5x2 Camshaft but I was told we didnt have to flycut them. I have MTI's S2 LS1 Heads also. Anyone run into this problem?? Should I flycut them? Whats the advantages/disadvantages??

Thanks in advance
Old 10-17-2003, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Flycut the pistons for G5X2 Cam?

Well, a couple of things...

First of all, aren't all MTI S2 heads usually cut .030? IMO, if you were hitting the piston on an X1, either the car was badly overrevved, or the heads have been milled more than .030.

The G5X2 will fit an unmilled, stock valved head without flycutting, but I think that any milling, larger valves, etc. makes flycuting mandatory .

Yes, you will have to flycut them, the G5X2 requires more P to V clearance than a X1. Flycuting is no big deal, and has no disadvantages if done correctly.

Just out of curiousity, who told you that flycutting would be un-necessary?
Old 10-17-2003, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Flycut the pistons for G5X2 Cam?

Well, a couple of things...

First of all, aren't all MTI S2 heads usually cut .030? IMO, if you were hitting the piston on an X1, either the car was badly overrevved, or the heads have been milled more than .030.

The G5X2 will fit an unmilled, stock valved head without flycutting, but I think that any milling, larger valves, etc. makes flycuting mandatory .

Yes, you will have to flycut them, the G5X2 requires more P to V clearance than a X1. Flycuting is no big deal, and has no disadvantages if done correctly.

Just out of curiousity, who told you that flycutting would be un-necessary?

No one actullly told me but thats what I understood from so much reading. I thought it didnt have to be done but the G5x4 did

Yes recently the car was seriously overreved, banged the limiter at 7000 RPM about 4 or 5 times. Many people had posted no fly cutting on aftermarket sponsor heads so I didnt think I had to. But anyways I guess Ill send them over to a local shop tomorrow to have them done since the motor is already apart.

Thanks for the information though..