Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with options for a LQ9 based build on a budget.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with options for a LQ9 based build on a budget.

Hey fellas. I'm going to be attending the University of NW Ohio soon to earn a High Performance Motorsports degree. I am told I will be encouraged to build a motor while I'm there, as part of the educational process. I figure it would be a good chance to build a 408 or something similar. I'm going to have to keep this pretty cheap since I'll have tuition to deal with at the same time, but I want to make as strong a motor as I possibly can for the money. I'd like to keep the total build to under $7k, and I think that's reasonable since all the machining/porting/assembly will be done by myself, with the help and guidance of my instructors.

I'd like to get some opinions on what size motor I should build, as well as what individual components to use. I've already decided to use a LQ4/LQ9 iron block due to price and strength as my foundation. Every other aspect of the build is up in the air and open for discussion.

The motor will be going in my '01 SS A4. The car will probably be a 50/50 street/track car by the time the motor goes in. Therefore, the motor can't be too wild. I don't need it to have a ton of low end, as long as I've got like 325 lb/ft by 3000 RPM I'll be happy. I also don't want to have to rev it past 6800 RPM or so. I'm not sure what reasonable RWHP/RWTQ goals are, but I do want it to run mid 10's at 125+ MPH on motor. I'd also like it to be handle up to a 200 shot for when I inevitably get bored with the power.

So I'm open to any and all rotating assembly/camshaft/head/intake suggestions. I don't want to go carb though.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

Anyone?
Old 03-18-2009, 01:43 AM
Launching!

If it was me stock cubic inch would be fine... I went with a ms4 and prc 2.5 heads forged bottom end and planning on a 200 shot a 6.0 will make a little better torque but with my cam I will take it to about 7000. It's a big cam but I recently had a slightly smaller cam and the ms4 actually is more streetable. It idles smoother and also drives smoother.
The 6.0 heads flow decent but a set of tsp ported l92's would work good with a l76 intake and a 4 bolt throttle body of some kind like a ptm.
And I'm not sure but I think you could still be in the price range for an ls2 forged stock cubes you save wait and you will not hurt the block
Old 03-18-2009, 09:16 AM
11 Second Club

Well I'm definitely going to do some work to the block since it'll be free to do the machining, I'd be crazy not to. I guess my biggest dilemma is what heads to go with. I'm probably going to have to go with a factory head due to budget constraints. Right now I'm trying to decide between some seriously worked 243's or some L92's. I know L92's are really sensitive to cam specs, so that worries me, but they also flow a ton.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:14 AM
dug
Banned

Id go with the L92 heads. They have a lot of untapped potential. Skool should teach you how to figure out a good cam for the heads
Old 03-18-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

idk about the motor but my buddy goes to that school and he says he loves it there plus he has learned alot and is building his own car to
Old 03-18-2009, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1-NAVY
idk about the motor but my buddy goes to that school and he says he loves it there plus he has learned alot and is building his own car to
Sweet! I really can't wait to go. There are so many options when building a car that I can't even begin to decide on a definitive combo.