Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 and Ls6 crank position pulse wheel- differences?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ls1 and Ls6 crank position pulse wheel- differences?

can anyone advise please what difference if any between an ls1 crank position pulse wheel and the ls6? reason i ask is i have an msd6010 ignition box which worked fine on my original ls1 engine using the crank and cam position sensors.
i've upgraded to an ls6 block, crank and forged pistons etc and after some other issues finally got round to firing it up at the weekend. i cant however do so due to a lack of a spark. i am worried i didnt get the ls1 pulse wheel i asked for as my msd box and sensors were all fine on the last engine, it had only spun a bearing.

its not anything else electrical, we have power to the msd box and i fitted new crank and cam sensors as a precaution to no avail.
if as suspected its due to a difference in pulse wheels i understand i might be able to swap the msd box to a different unit, but i dont want to go down that route until 100% sure what the two engines normally run as No of teeth on the pulsewheel.
any help appreciated.
cheers
Old 03-23-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ls6 had the same as the ls1.. dont think anything changed until 2006 and the ls2 for the reluctor wheel. The only way to be sure which wheel you have to drop the oil pan... ls1 has 24 teeth and the newer is 58.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:13 AM
TECH Regular

cheers for that, i dont know where this leaves me now tho with no spark! is there any way to test the output of the crank and cam sensors?
thanks
Old 03-24-2009, 05:22 AM
TECH Regular

also thinking if there is any possibility i picked up an incorrect cam or crank sensor that doesnt work with my engine but i'm not sure how i'd be able to test them at the msd box. any further help appreciated.