Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manually turning motor over, excessive pressure/girgling sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manually turning motor over, excessive pressure/girgling sound

We have a motor on a stand and with the plugs in, it seems like there is too much pressure when we manually turn it over. Along with the pressure is a gurgling sound.

As it is on a stand, we have rotated it with the plugs out to ensure there is no water in any of the cylinders.

With the plugs out its fine, with the plugs in there is pressure that seems to build along with the gurgling sound (which is weird, because we think there shouldnt be any liquids in there)

So is this normal and it is just building compression? Or is there something strange going on?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Building compression. If there is oil in the cylinders or anything you are likely squeezing it around.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly the pressure should build to where it kinda stops you from turning the motor and then slowly bleed off allowing the motor to turn again. Like vettenuts said if there is oil on the rings/cylinders it will hold it even better than if dry.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

dumb question...do you have the cam or pushrods in(i'm guessing you are building the motor is why I ask)

If not the valves arent opening and the compression has no way to bleed off
Old 04-05-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is complete, heads, cam, rockers, etc etc

Its actually an older motor that had been sitting for a while. It all started by putting it back to stock...

I took off the aftermarket heads, and installed stockers with the gaskets BACKWARDS, which blocked off a coolant passage on each side. (My first attempt at a big project, it went perfect except that very minor and very important detail lol)

Anyways, I had a friend install new gaskets. He did one side at a time. The driver side was all buttoned up, and when he did the other side a couple head bolts broke in the block. We ended up having to pull the motor and taking it to a machine shop.

So the motor has been rotated all sorts of weird directions, and we think maybe this could have caused liquids to get where they shouldnt be or something strange like that. We did a thorough cleaning, and thought we completely emptied the motor--pan off, water pump off, coolant passage screws removed. Yet it distinctly sounds like pressure building up and forcing its way through a liquid. At this point we did put oil in, but it was making the sound beforehand.

Do you think that the newly installed gasket (the first one to be installed before the fiasco) could have gotten damaged?

Basically we're trying to be extra cautious before reinstalling. Much easier to deal with a problem on the motor stand, than in the car!

Thanks a lot for the help

Andrew