Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft advice needed

I recently purchased an 01' SS M6. The car has a mild cam setup with supporting mods. It has pacesetter LT headers w/ TSP Y-pipe,Hooker cat-back,4:10 gears,moser 28 spline axles,air lid w/K&N,and numerous suspension components that really don't matter for my concern.Anyhow,the cam is around 224/226 .525/.532 and has comp 915 springs.I was wanting to remove that cam and install an MS3 with the PRC .660 lift springs,but before I spend $1,500+ on that I was pondering something.This is where I could use some advice.I'm wondering if maybe I can just install longer pushrods and maybe some 1.85 rockers to get the same result as a larger cam?While this is my 4th LSX car,I am new to the modifying of the internal components.Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!It sounds logical,and it would save money and time,but I don't want to cause myself problems down the road.Thanks everyone!
Old 05-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would you want to install longer pushrods? and a 1.85 isn't going to change your valve events. my recommendation to you is to get a custom cam from someone who makes a living speccing cams. NOT someone who does it for a hobby and may or may not be right. Look up Bauer Racing Engines or Flowtech Inductions for that service.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am no cam guru, but that is a very small cam. You would be better off getting a bigger cam, good springs like the PRCs, or a good used set of 243s with some good springs already installed. Why would a cam & springs cost $1500+? I just did a cam, timing chain, pushrods, springs, oil pump, & gaskets ran me about $1000. Of course I will be getting it tuned so another $450 so yep close to $1500 if you do the cam install yourself.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ....

Thanks for the input guys! I figured the cam & accessories with a tune to be around $1500. Like i said before,I am not against having to do a cam swap,I was just wondering if going to a higher ratio rocker and maybe longer pushrods would increase valve lift. If stock rockers are 1.7 and I installed 1.85's that would increase lift correct? I am still bewildered as to why the previous owner went with such a small cam!On top of buying all the parts he had to pay to have everything installed.It all cost him around $3,000 just for the benefit of maybe 20 horsepower that cam may have added.I am still not sure whether to get an MS3 or maybe an MS4. What is everyones opinion on that?Thanks again!
Tony