Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A lot of questions about springs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A lot of questions about springs?

I just bought a set of 1.85 rockers for my 2000 camaro z28...I read in all of the books that I need to change my springs if I change my rockers to a higher ratio? Can anybody tell me why? Is it because they are not strong enough? What could happen? Can anybody suggest what springs to use? Can I use stock new LS6 springs? If I use these springs do I need any other hardware? If I have to replace the springs, I want a decent spring, but not a set that will break the bank. Any help or advice would be helpful. Thank you

Zach
Old 06-23-2009, 04:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The springs will need to keep up with the higher accelerations that the higher ratio will generate. If the rockers have more inertia, that will play a role as well. Without changing the springs, you will float the valves and potentially hit a valve against a piston and damage the valves, pistons or both. Valve springs are one area not to wimp out on. Don't buy used or cheap, get a set that will do the job. A set of PAC 1218's will re-use your stock retainers, seats, etc. and should be a direct replacement. As for LS6 springs, they would be marginal at best but likely not keep up with the higher ratio either.