Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Anyone Seen This?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has Anyone Seen This?

my buddies 2000 T/A.

its been having misfire problems, P0300 and P0307.

checked no.7 and it was low on compression...way low. he didnt wet test the cylinder for some ungodly reason and just had the heads shipped off to be completely redone. pulling the driver side head off we found this.

im pretty sure he floated a valve by over reving? he drives the car like a bat out of hell.

he decided to leave the piston like it is and got the heads back and reinstalled them. the codes still came back. then the scanner read something about the CKP sensor, no reference or signal. cant remember. pulled the CKP and we found this....

bought a new crank sensor and it ate that one up too...what in the hell is wrong with his car?

i was thinking it might be needle bearings stuck in the reluctor wheel from over tightening the rocker arms. out of balance crank? if so how did he manage to pull that one off. any ideas would be appreciated.

sorry if you cant see the pictures, from my phone.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For that to hit the pickup on the crank position sensor he has to have something stuck in the reluctor wheel or a totally junked out bottom end. I think that sensor runs some .050 or better away from the actual reluctor itself no reason it should ever make contact.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by WYATT318MOPAR
For that to hit the pickup on the crank position sensor he has to have something stuck in the reluctor wheel or a totally junked out bottom end. I think that sensor runs some .050 or better away from the actual reluctor itself no reason it should ever make contact.
any idea what kind of junk? ive heard of needle bearing being in the oil pan from the rocker arms. only kind of junk i can honestly think of. no FO has entered the oil other wise.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you peek inside the CKP bore on the side of the block while rotating the crank (with assistant's help).
Old 08-22-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Snowblind.
any idea what kind of junk?
I mean like a junk out thrust bearing, or a serious issue with crank movement within the block itself. There is just no way the reluctor can move over and hit that sensor something has to be in it. May have even spun a bearing and the reluctor wheel has picked up the debris. I would try like the other guy suggested, get your head or a mirror up so you can see back in the sensor bung on the block and have someone else roll the engine over by hand. That way you can see the entire surface of the reluctor inside. Keep me posted as I am wanting to see what is causing this
Old 08-23-2009, 07:42 PM

well we tried and tried and couldnt see much of anything. pretty much just gonna tear the block down and rebuild it. something is seriously trashed. we both ship off in a few months so it's prob gonna stay intact for awhile.