Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porting intake to head question, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Porting intake to head question, HELP!

I have a FAST 90 intake manifold that I was taking off the car tomorrow to do a little porting on and was going to port-match them to the heads (stock 853 camaro heads) but got to thinking if I port-matched them to those stock heads and down the road get some aftermarket heads will I be screwed because the intake ports on the heads are alot different? I will eventually be getting some AFR's or Trick Flows if that helps. I just don't want to screw myself up in the long run. I would think the aftermarket intake runners are bigger on the aftermarket heads and in that case I would be fine matching them to my heads now but would like some input first. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-13-2009, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 612 Likes on 485 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Port matching is one of the most worthless things you can do, unless there is a severe mismatch from the heads to the intake. And what I mean by that is, if the port on the intake is BIGGER than the port on the heads, it'll cause problems. The opposite is perfectly fine, and can actually help with reversion when you have a bigger cam. If I were you, I wouldn't even mess with it.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. I am mainly just opening the mouth of the intake and cleaning up some of the runners that may have rough edges and such but was going to port match the runners while I was doing it but if there is no point then I won't bother.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would also wait until you get your new heads.

Bill
Old 09-15-2009, 04:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

When you lay the bottom section of your FAST intake onto stock 853 heads, you will find that the head intake runners are actually a little smaller down in the bottom than the FAST intake.

If you feel so inclined you can take a little away from these corners on the head runners. The FAST ports are a good match for the AFR 205 runners as-is.