Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Spark Plugs keep fouling out....?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Spark Plugs keep fouling out....?

I have a 414ls6, and i use NGK TR6 gapped stock at 37 and they will work for a couple weeks, and then one time when I start the car it struggles then quits, and wont start up again even after the car sits for a couple days for the plugs to dry. Then I have to replace them. This sucks, whats going on?

Thanks, andy
Old 11-29-2003, 11:48 AM

You have mail.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

I'm guessing that you have bigger injectors. Have you had the computer tuned for those? Sounds like it's pumping fuel like crazy into the cylinders. Do you smell fuel? You would smell it. Another thing to think about are the 02's. Did you change them when you did the new motor?

They should not be flooding out the cylinder. Sounds tuning related to me. Try taking it to Speedworks for a tune.

I know that if the computer is not tuned for a bigger injector, it will wash the cylinders down with fuel. You'll have big oil consumption problems, if that happens, as the rings will not seat. Do not drive the car until you figure out the problem. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes the computer is tuned by APE. I didnt change the 02 sensors untill 3 days ago. IS it possible the plugs got messed up before I changed teh sensors. I dynoed 453rwhp with open cutouts @ 400miles and I am consuming oil but not horrible. I lost a quart and 1/2 scince the dyno tune. About 1600 miles.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:35 PM
TECH Veteran

For what its worth, I put those plugs in mine gapped to 35 and it ran the same crappy way. I took them out and put my old crappy plugs back in (cleaned them first) and the motor ran perfectly on the first start up.
I was told my motor can't use the TR6 plugs gapped at 35, so my TR55's went back in gapped at 55 and the motor is perfect at all rpms and idles perfect too.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Did you change the injectors & drive it there, or did you have them switch the injectors after they adjusted for that in the computer.

If you did it before, then yes, you could have messed up the plugs that way. Just switch the plugs & see how it is. You'll have to run a colder plug, since you intend to spray it.

Quick Reply: My Spark Plugs keep fouling out....?