Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I go to a higher vol. oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I go to a higher vol. oil pump?

My 03 C-5 (M6) has H/C and all bolt ons. The rev limit is currently set to 6500 rpm. However the cam will pull another 200-300 rpm past that and my springs are rated at 7200 rpm. If I increase the rev limit to say 6800 rpm would I need to go to a higher volume oil pump than stock?

If so, which oil pump? How about a ported LS6 pump?
Old 11-30-2003, 10:36 AM

If it were me, I wouldn't. The stock pressure is more than adequate. Contrary to the often subscribed to theory of "ten pounds pressure, per 1000 rpms," that was true about thirty years ago. I would just use a blueprinted pump. If you do go to a high pressure unit, I would use an oil cooler, preferrably something from Setrab. This will keep the heat down somewhat, since pressure and heat are directly related. I would avoid using high viscocity oils, the LS1 doesn't need that. If you are burning oil, you need to go to a crankcase evacuation system.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeeze, I hope you don't decide to rev that engine to 6,800 revs on a continual basis. Your sooner or later going to put a rod through the side of the block.

You can look at my signature ... It's your average head, cam, headers car. I don't ever let it go above 6,400

There is no reason to spin it any faster than that with your mods unless you like playing Russian Roulete with you motor.

It's your engine ....

Oh Ya, as far as the oil pump is concerned. I am using a ported pump, however, 'ChevyNo1' just pulled 574 rwhp and 624 ftlb torque with his twin turbo 98 Camaro SS. He has a stock pump. No problems for him. Of course, he don't spin the motor above 6,000 revs.

Ron,
Old 11-30-2003, 02:12 PM

Ron, where'd you get your oil pump? How much did it cost? I've been toying with the idea. I'm thinking of putting on a road race pan. I'll have to have that fabricated as well, maybe something out of magensium, but who knows.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine came from Thunder Racing. They sell the pump sourced from Katech.

This ported pump has the the stock spring with no shim under the spring, so the volume is greater, but the same pressure as stock.

This pump gives me 40 psi at idle (hot engine)
55 psi highway speed (hot engine) ... Same as I had before.

Also, I believe, the bore that the bypass valve/spring ride in is also de-bured so the valve won't slick. That bypass valve sticking in it's bore is what causes so many of the stock pumps to fail and stop supplying pressure.
__________________________________________________ _____

Someone else is selling a shimmed pump that increases oil pressure, but I don't think any more that stock is needed. Volume is more important if you ask me.

Last edited by Tin Indian; 11-30-2003 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by goodhands
My 03 C-5 (M6) has H/C and all bolt ons. The rev limit is currently set to 6500 rpm. However the cam will pull another 200-300 rpm past that and my springs are rated at 7200 rpm. If I increase the rev limit to say 6800 rpm would I need to go to a higher volume oil pump than stock?

If so, which oil pump? How about a ported LS6 pump?

Thanks for the input everyone! I think I will leave the rev limiter where it is and stay with the stock pump.