Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 Suggestion (Heads/Cam/Intake)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LQ9 Suggestion (Heads/Cam/Intake)

Sorry, I know these questions have been posted many, many times. I would like opinions/suggestions from guys with LQ9's (or knowledge on this engine).

Ok, I've searched here and read about guys with LQ9's running ported L92 heads with either LS3 or L76 intakes. I've called several of the top shops listed on LS1tech and got a couple different views. I'll break down the common theme I heard from these shops and have you guys give me your feedback on them (read below):

- Use ported L92 heads (64cc to get compression up as this is for a n/a application), L76 or LS3 intake and custom grind cam (otherwise I'll be limited on cam type due to ptv issues). Say I could see anywhere from 420rwhp to 460rwhp (estimate).

- Use ported LS6 heads, LS2 or FAST intake and have a wide variety of cams to choose from (off the shelf and/or custom cams). Say I could see anywhere from low 400rwhp to 450rwhp (or thereabouts).

Basically, I want to raise the compression of my engine a bit (it's at 10:1 with the flat top pistons in the LQ9), which I understand if I use the 64cc ported L92 heads I would get to around 10:7/10:8 compression. The LS6 heads would definitely bump the compression, but I hear may limit my rwhp numbers. This will be a n/a engine (automatic with a 4L80 trans and a 3000 stall or thereabouts) and would like to achieve a very streetable engine setup with over 450rwhp (and not too lumpy of a cam/choppy idle, but a little is fine). The flat top pistons are going to stay as with the stock bottom end (don't see any need to build that up). I want to stay away from cutting the pistons to deal with potential ptv issues.

So, any opinion or experience with these engines and these heads/cam/intake combo? Appreciate any information.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as you already know if your looking to bump compression and run a good size cam the 243's are the easier option. i've heard that the l92's will crush a 243 in the proper combo, but i've been told although the do fit on a 4" bore they don't really shine until you get to 4.060 or bigger
Old 09-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

SLP recommended this cam for my car http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=51017

Good option? Anybody use this or similar cam?
Old 09-29-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm no expert but i would go elsewhere for a cam. have someone spec a cam around your whole combo this way you get exactly what your looking for
Old 09-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

outkast, I agree, I'll check with LG Motorsports, WCCH and Virginia Speed and get some feedback on a custom cam.

Just picked up my ported L92 heads (64cc) and L76 intake today (so, that part is taken care of).
Old 09-30-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Those heads are probably milled what .040"? PTV is going to be severely restricted with flat top pistons. Are you planning on flycutting?
Old 09-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Those heads are probably milled what .040"? PTV is going to be severely restricted with flat top pistons. Are you planning on flycutting?
Trying to avoid that. In talks with a few shops on custom cams. So far they say I may not have to flycut. Don't know at this point. There are others on this site with this or very similar setup that haven't. I'll keep you posted...........

Quick Reply: LQ9 Suggestion (Heads/Cam/Intake)